Twenty-four

"I'm just saying that we don't need couple counselling." Charlie argued with me as I wrapped a towel around my body after our mutual shower. "Weren't you just there? Experienced what happened in that shower?"

I turned to look at him, realising he was standing much closer so I had to take a step back to look up at him.

"Sex doesn't solve everything, Charlie." I said with a sigh. "Sex is great but somehow, somewhere in our relationship, we lost the ability to communicate and look how that went. We need counselling."

I handed him a towel and he sighed at me as he wrapped it around his waist.

"I don't want to sit in front of some psychologist and talk about issues that we don't have."

I shook my head at him, grabbing another towel to dry my hair with while looking into the mirror. Charlie's body was turned towards me, his eyes watching my movements while I watched us through the mirror.

"You're too proud." I sighed. "It's typical you. Why can't you just be on board with this, whisky?"

I noticed he started smiling and I frowned as I looked up at him with a questioning look. "What?"

He shrugged, nudging me with his shoulder.

"You called me whisky again." He said shyly. It was hard to fight the smile that wanted to show so when it did, I quickly looked at the mirror again.

"It might feel like everything is back to normal, but we still lack trust." I said before I turned to open the door. I threw the towel over it so it could dry, and then looked at Charlie while holding onto the towel around my body. "I need to be able to trust you again about leaving and you need to trust me good enough so that you want to talk to me about insecurities and other things."

I turned around to walk out of the bathroom, but nearly screamed when I saw the two familiar faces sit in the kitchen, staring right at me.

Brazier was standing by the opened fridge and Romany was sitting at the table. Charlie showed up behind me to see what was going on, and when my brothers saw him, their eyes widened.

"Oh shit." Charlie muttered behind me. I gulped.

"Wha— uh— how long have you two been here?"

"Long enough to know you're not discreet." Brazier scoffed, turning his attention back on the content of my fridge. I heard Charlie snicker behind me, but that turned into a frown when I elbowed him in the ribs.

"I'm traumatised." Romany said, staring at us with wide eyes. I sighed, placing my face in my hand while the other still clutched my towel.

"Oh get over it." Brazier told his twin brother. "Stop being such a virgin."

"Dude!" Romany scoffed. "I've had sex!"

"Yeah—" Brazier laughed. "With your fist."

Why are my younger brothers standing in my loft, talking about sex?

"You're seventeen!" I told them. "You shouldn't even be having sex!"

Both of my brothers looked at me. Brazier had a look on his face that screamed 'don't act like you weren't much younger' while Romany sighed and covered his face with his hands.

"Love, didn't you lose your virginity to Barnaby Lee in year six?" Charlie asked from behind me. I turned around and sent him a look that told him to shut up, before I made my way into the bedroom.

I closed the door behind me with a sigh before I went on with getting dressed. My family still didn't know that Charlie was here — well, now my younger brothers did.