The Umbrella Plan

Fluff. No manga spoilers.

High school AU.

—————

"I forgot my umbrella at home" Emma moaned disgruntledly as she watched the steady rain as it fell.

Norman looked at his best friend who was still watching the rain as if considering the option of running home.

By coincidence, or perhaps not so much, Norman was always prepared for this type of situation. He had an umbrella big enough for both of them.

"We can share the umbrella," he suggested softly, as if he hadn't planned it all out.

Okay, not everything, but a lot of it. He had looked at the forecast in the morning and knew it would rain for the rest of the day, and knowing Emma, ​​he knew she would not forget to bring an umbrella.

He might not be a love genius, but he knew that the act of sharing an umbrella with a girl was something romantic, and if it worked out according to his plans, Emma would be delighted with him kindness and then she would fall in love with him and they would get married and have four children.

Okay, maybe the last part is overreacting, but you get the idea in general.

The umbrella plan was perfect.

"That would be great, thanks Norman" She thanked him quickly while giving a bright smile that made Norman's heart race "So we have to wait Ray, right?"

You may be thinking that he wasn’t expecting the surprise factor that would be waiting for his other best friend, but you’re wrong.

"He has a few things to work out with the club, so he said we could go without him" He replied with a gentle smile as he took out his umbrella.

He mentally remembered to buy Ray a new camera as a thank for helping him with the plan.

"Well, if that's the case then we better get going just before the rain gets worse" She agreed.

—————

To say that Norman was blushing would be an understatement.

He didn't expect her to come this close. So close that he could smell her strawberry shampoo.

He even feared that she might hear his heart racing, but luckily she seemed too focused on the conversation he was trying to hold.

"And then when Carol stopped crying Yuugo was so relieved that he didn't even realize I was carrying a dog" She continued with her story about how she had gotten an adorable dog "After two hours he came to realize, but luckily Lucas said we could have the dog"

He let out a little laugh "Well, I'm sure Yuugo wasn’t very satisfied with that"

"He and the dog are best friends now" She snorted with a roll of eyes.

He gave a small smile. So far everything was going according to plan.

He even stood on the side of the street on the sidewalk, in case any car passed by and splashed water on them.

"Uhmm" She suddenly looked thoughtful and that was enough to get his attention.

"What?"

"You are warm" She said and snuggled even closer to him.

This was not in his plans.

"Oh" He said stupidly. His brain had definitely stopped working "I-I'm glad you like it?"

Woah, that sounded even more stupid.

'Kiss her' A part of his brain said, and he almost did.

"Control yourself, Norman" he murmured to himself.

"Did you say something?" Emma asked looking at Norman's red face.

"Ah, I said, that you are also warm!" He practically shouted in embarrassment. Obviously, he regretted it just after "S-Sorry, I didn't mean it! Well, I did, but-"

"No need to apologize" She reassured him with a laugh, which actually only added to his embarrassment.

"Right" He spoke, slapping himself mentally for being such an idiot.

Fortunately for the rest of his sanity, they finally made it to Emma's house.

"Don't you want to come in and wait for the rain to pass?" She suggested as she took the door key from her backpack "There's nobody at home, so you don't have to worry about Yuugo trying to kill you"

"Thank you, but no" He politely declined. He didn't know what could happen if he stayed alone with Emma for a long time.

In the worst case, he would confess his feelings and ask her to date him. Which could also be the best, if she accepted.

"Well, then thanks for bringing me here" She thanked him while smiling brightly. Even though they were best childhood friends, he could never get used to her beautiful smile "It was very kind of you"

"Anything for you" He said without thinking, blushing soon after "We are best friends, and best friends do anything for each other!"

"Yea!" If he didn't know her well, he would say that she looked at him disappointed for a moment "Again, thanks"

She put herself on tiptoe.

And then did something that surprised him.

She kissed him on the cheek.

If happiness were a person, that person would be Norman.

"Okay, see you tomorrow, Norman" He heard her say as he entered the house and closed the door quickly.

He nodded, even though he knew she couldn't see him, and left the entrance to the house.

He walked three more blocks before stopping and dropping his umbrella on the floor.

"YES!" It might seem strange, a drenched teenager screaming at the top of his lungs with happiness, but he was too busy celebrating the success of his plan to care.

"Have you finally gone crazy?" He heard a voice speak behind him, which made him turn only to see Ray with a mocking smile.

"Ray!" He hugged the boy who tried everything to keep him away "You don't know what happened!"

"No hugs! No hugs! Get away from me!" Ray complained embarrassed as he tried to push the other away "I have an idea of ​​what happened, now get away from me!"

After a long time struggling against Norman's grip, he finally broke free. He didn’t know what he hated the most, the fact that he was also soaked now or the fact that he had made physical contact.

"My clothes" He groaned angrily as he picked up his umbrella that had fallen to the floor "Please don't share your idiotic happiness with me in the form of physical affection again and just tell me what happened"

"She said that I am warm!" Norman said with a completely passionate smile "And then she kissed me on the cheek!"

Ray just rolled his eyes and watched his best friend grab his own umbrella "Good job, Romeo"

The two started walking while he listened to Norman's monologue about how amazing Emma was, before he heard a little sneeze.

"Look on the bright side, Einstein" He said sarcastically after the other boy had a series of sneezes "The love of your life will for sure visit when she finds out you got sick"

Norman didn't care, because in the end, his plan had been a success.