Chapter 22: Thousand Years' Sorrow

The years of a lifetime do not reach a hundred,
Yet they contain a thousand years' sorrow.

۞⸟

Chapter Twenty Two

The late winter wind blew, causing the fabrics to sway and rustle with the air as the pair of equally good-looking man and woman descended from the top of the watch tower. The soft glow of the winter moon illuminated their jade like faces, too ethereal people thought they were immortals descending from the heaven.

The man wore a snowy-white robes edged and decorated with silver clouds. There wasn’t a single speck of dust on him, from his head to his feet. He was so clean, letting him touch the dust of the mortal world seemed to be a crime. In his hold was a woman dressed in a fiery red and black robes. The shelter of the man and the veil on her face couldn’t hide her effortless allure and charm.

The color of their robes were contrasting yet not conflicting. The brightness didn’t affect the purity and the coldness too did not dim the brightness. Like a perfect match, pure and fiery, cold and warm.

But at this moment, the beauty in the arms of the hero was very frustrated. Wei Wuxian was currently questioning his choices in life. He had no idea that very well was the same as Lan Wangji grabbing him by the waist, again.

As Lan Wangji guided him down the watch tower to the training ground, Wei Wuxian could only wonder what was wrong with this willowy waist that it seemed so easy to grab. He couldn’t help but feel like an easy prey to abduct.

I want to bring someone to Gusu…to hide, Lan Wangji’s phantom voice unceremoniously echoed inside his head and even though Wei Wuxian knew that the menace in his arms was the culprit behind this, he still got shivers running down his spine.

But was that really the intention behind those words? Wei Wuxian’s silly brain had been successfully corrupted. He felt that this was possible.

If Lan Wangji did indeed abduct him, he might struggle a little, scream for a while, then cooperate in the end. Ah! No, that’s not really good for his manly ego.

As Wei Wuxian was busying himself with all his nonsense thoughts, Jiang Cheng had already reached the base, landing on the training ground almost at the same time as them. He nodded and started to walk towards the cluster of tents they had temporarily built for their stay here in Chongyang. He looked like he was in a bad mood, like there were dark clouds hanging above him.

Lan Wangji also remained silent as he led Wei Wuxian to follow suit. Thankfully, he remembered that Wei Wuxian was not disabled and let him walk on his own.

The surrounding cultivators managed to notice that the atmosphere around this group of three was wrong and disappeared like a wind.

No one talked as the trio walked deeper in the base. The atmosphere turned heavier and heavier as seconds passed by. It was so stuffy Wei Wuxian who was naturally talkative was feeling restless.

Wei Wuxian glanced to his right only to see Lan Wangji with his notably colder expression. He shifted to his left only to once again see a jade like side profile. Wait! Wasn’t Lan Wangji walking on his right side just now? How come he was now on his left side?

Wei Wuxian subtly tried to look at Jiang Cheng but Lan Wangji had accidentally blocked his sight. He tried only to fail once again. Wei Wuxian stopped since he could already imagine how ugly Jiang Cheng’s current face would be even if he didn’t see it for himself.

Faintly, he could sense that there was something wrong going on between Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng, like some kind of bad blood. But how was that possible? Yes, Jiang Cheng might have some anger issues and Lan Wangji might not be a fan of talking, but they were still old classmates. Lan Wangji even came here to Chongyang just to help the Jiang Sect.