CHAPTER 6 (EVERY ADVENTURE MUST COME TO AN END)

Start from the beginning

When he awoke, Tay had ordered room service. There were desserts of every kind and about half a dozen bottles of chardonnay. New thought it was wasteful but then remembered it was to defy the system.

They ate and drank in luxurious robes. Had sex on every available surface. New especially enjoyed when he came inside Tay whilst watching the city move beneath them.

Thirty minutes to midnight, Tay and New laid in bed, freshly showered and fully clothed. New's legs were over Tay's. His head rested on Tay's chest as he drew irregular shapes on his arm.

"I really really really like you," Tay whispered. He was spent. "I would say I love you. But I don't want you to feel as though you are being rushed."

"And if I don't feel rushed?" New lifted his head to peer at his face.

"Then I'd say, I love you. I haven't felt this way about anyone before. I know we have a rocky history but I'm willing to spend eternity making up for it."

Tay was his first love but he was not the only man he had ever loved. After Tay, he fell in love with a man called Wai in college. Wai was so good to him. It made New brave. So brave that he came out to his parents. They were not as accepting as he had hoped. When they kicked him out, Wai left too.

It was terrible for a few months. His scholarship only covered tuition. He lived out of his car until he ran into Earth who changed his life. Earth was not Tawan rich but he had enough. At least more than New. He helped New to acquire a part-time job and fully funded a two-bedroom condo near campus until New was stable enough to chip in. Earth saved his life.

Twice he had been in love. And twice he had been hurt by the people he loved. Nonetheless, he had never regretted loving them. Perhaps this time, his love will work out. Third time's the charm, right?

"I really really really like you too." He smiled.

Tay brought their lips together. It was a soft kiss. It made New warm and tingly and so much more in love. Happiness was a strange feeling. He could get used to it.

A taxi was waiting for them downstairs. New was too tired and drunk to drive. They held hands throughout the ride and fell asleep as soon as their heads touched the pillows.

**********************

They didn't want to get out of bed the next morning but they had a business to run. Tay dressed up in one of New's old faded T-shirts and jeans. New laughed until he cried when he saw him.

His phone rang on the way to the café. It was Earth. New eyed his boyfriend before he answered the call.

"Hey."

"Have you seen the news?" Earth sounded frantic.

"You know I don't watch the news, Earth. Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"Jesus, Thitipoom, why do you always get yourself into this kind of mess?" He sounded eerily similar to the voice in his head. "I'll send you a link to one article. Be careful." the dial tone beeped.

Tay's brows were drawn. "What did he want?"

New's phone pinged. He ignored Tay in favor of opening the message. He opened the link Earth sent. His blood ran cold.

SUCCESSOR OR SERVER? Inside the Vihokratana heir apparent's romance with a low-born barista.

Attached to the news article was a photo of Tay in the shop in an apron. There was a hazy picture of them kissing at the bonfire. And one of Tay's arms around him in the hotel lobby.

New read the headline over and over again. His vision blurred on the 7th read. Tay took the phone from his hands. He swore when he saw it. He framed New's face. "None of this is real," he soothed. "This is what the tabloids do. They've said worse things about me. We'll get through this together."

New nodded. He wiped the tears from his face. Earth was calling again but he did not pick up the call. The traffic seemed to triple up today. The front of New's shop was already bustling with people. They alighted two shops from the café and footed it to the shop.

"Oh, shit," Tay swore uncharacteristically. He took New's wrist and pulled him to a stop. "Keep your head down." He instructed.

New did not know what was going on. But he did as he was told. "What's going on?" His voice wavered.

He clenched his jaws. "Those leeches you see are reporters. Request another ride and let's get out of here."

New was shaking. He unsteadily pulled out his phone. His hands froze when he heard, "That's him, that's Vihokratana'. It was too late. They had them made out.

"Mr. Vihokratana!"

It took a second for them to be flooded by reporters. Tay put his arms around his shoulders and tried to maneuver him through the crowd. Every possible exit was blocked. Recorders were shoved in their faces. Inappropriate and demeaning questions were thrown at them.

"Mr. Vihokratana why did you choose to date lower this time?", A lady asked.

"Was it the coffee that lured you?", another woman, with kinder eyes questioned.

"Reports say you went to the same high school. Is that where you first met? Are you high school sweethearts?"

"Mr. Thitipoom, can you give us some tips on how to move up the ranks?"

Tay kept his arms tight around New. Cameras went off unceasingly. New felt like he was going blind. Then, all of a sudden, the noise stopped. The reporters stepped back. He looked up, shaking, to see what must have been so important than their gossip blogs. There was a black Limousine packed on the sidewalk. Two tall men in dark suits stepped out first and opened the door.

New had only seen him once in high school during the commissioning of the school's basketball court. But he recognized the man. The current head of the Vihokratana empire, Tay's father and quite possibly the system Tay had been complaining about.

Tay stood in front of New. Arms crossed. Legs apart. He was in protective mode. New held on to him.

Mr. Vihokratana gave them a withering stare. He was intimidating for a short man. "Get in the car." He commanded.

"No father," Tay said. "I have no business with you."

Mr. Vihokratana seemed to have expected this response. He nodded to one of the guards. The stocky man stepped forward and whispered something into Tay's ears. When the man stepped back, Tay looked upset.

He shook his head. "You wouldn't dare!"

"Get in!" He repeated sternly.

"Tay?" New was tired. He wanted the day to be over already. He should have stayed in bed. Tay took a step forward. "Tay?" He attempted to hold his hands. Tay shook him off. His shoulders were slumped as he shuffled towards his dad. He disappeared into the limousine without a word or glance back.

Mr. Vihokratana followed his son. He sized New up with disdainful eyes then rolled up the tinted glasses.

New choked on a sob. Trembling hands came up to cover his mouth. He didn't know what was happening. He was so confused and in pain. He was happy a few minutes ago. Finally happy. He stumbled into his shop. Locked the doors behind himself. And allowed himself to break down.

He called Tay many times. He sent several messages. After hours of waiting, he got a single reply.

Tay 💙

The past few weeks have been an adventure. However, every adventure must come to an end. I would prefer not to be bothered anymore. Thank you.

Just like 9 years ago, New couldn't shed a tear.