CHAPTER 1 (I NEED A JOB)

A/N: CAN YOU DO ME A FAVOR AND NOT READ THIS STORY IF YOU CAN STILL SEE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT? COME BACK TO IT AFTER A FEW DAYS. PLEASE NA.

The bell above the door chimed again, announcing a newcomer. New Thitipoom Techaapaikhun sighed from where he was rinsing out the portafilter. He had just finished tending to a long line of customers and was hoping to catch his breath for a few minutes. The AC was on 17 degrees but he felt warm. Blame the continuous movement and hurdle of dealing with patrons. He plastered on his service smile and turned to face his latest customer.

"How May I help—," He swallowed the rest of the sentence. He blinked at the newcomer for a moment. He regained composure and finished the sentence, "you?"

The man before him was none other than Tay Tawan Vihokratana. The love of his life. Scratch that. The love of his younger self's life. The last time Tay stood before him, he was breaking his heart into fine molecules.

Back in high school, New had a ginormous crush on Tay. He was two years New's senior and rolled in a different circle. He was old money rich and looked it. New on the other hand helped his mother to run a laundry business.

They had not spoken a word to each other before. And New doubted Tay knew of his existence. However, that was not a deterrent to New's one-sided crush. At first, he watched Tay only out of admiration. Soon enough, admiration turned into a crush. And the crush transformed into a full-blown heart palpitating, palms sweating, breath-stopping love.

He was stupid then. Stupid enough to think he could just walk up to Tay Tawan and profess his undying love. He was stupid to expect the other boy to embrace him and ride off into the sunset with him. 

When Tay looked down his nose at New and said, "Why did you ever think I would want to associate myself with the likes of you?" and walked past him, he was numb. He had folded the piece of paper he read his love letter from. Shoved it carefully into his pocket. And left. He couldn't cry.

He felt—nothing.

It was sort of an out-of-body experience. He was rejected in the lowest way possible by the love of his life. When he finally cried, it was a week later in his bedroom all by himself. He ripped out pages of the diary he kept to document his fantasies about Tay. He had envisioned what a relationship with Tay would be like. What school their kids would go to. Whether they'd build a wooden fence or a concrete wall around their house. The breed of dog they would adopt. He knew Tay was a dog person. He preferred cats but he was willing to settle for a dog. All for Tay. 

New's face turned a bright shade of red just from remembering. He shook his head to clear the embarrassing memories. And focused on the man standing before him. Tay was a cute boy 9 years ago. Time had been good to him. He stood about 4 inches higher than New now and his hair was styled in parted bangs that framed his face. Broad shoulders were hidden in a white button-up shirt, that probably cost more than New's little establishment.

Tay swallowed. New's followed the movement of his prominent Adam's apple. He looked around the coffee shop. Then back at New. "I need a job."

He took a moment to process this. Blinked. Frowned. "Huh?"

"Oh sorry, I didn't know. I," Tay pointed to himself. "Need" He enunciated the word. "A—job." He made a coffee pouring gesture.

"Why?"

"I," he pointed to himself again "Am—,"

New rolled his eyes. "I can hear you just fine."