Chapter 10: The Hourglass

Jake's POV

         The sun's rays pierced the walls of the tent. Sam was stirring in his sleep.

        Poor guy, I thought about him and his broken leg. It should be healed soon, but it still can be quite painful. I walked outside and started a small campfire, replacing the one that Silena put out last night.

        I looked down at my holographic map, Annabeth's idea and my dad's design/model, I saw that we were too far north, in the redwood forest of California. For the next half hour or so I tended the fire and made some breakfast for everyone. It was nice and quite, I was undisturbed and peaceful.

        "Hey," Silena had woken up, but she scared me. I jumped and pretty sure I let out a high pitch squeal because she was laughing at me.

        "Morning," I said as she stood behind me.

        "May I join you on this fine summer morning?" I nodded and Silena sat down next to me laying her head on my shoulder.

        "Why are you up?" I asked. I didn't want to be nosy, but it was pretty early for a teenager who doesn't hear an engine roar at five in the morning.

        "Thalia was snoring really loudly," Silena told me.

        "I know, I could hear her from out here." Silena let out a small laugh.

        "Why are you up?" asked Silena out of nowhere.

        "Um... I felt like watching the sunrise."

        "Very macho Jake, very macho," She was making a strange face and said it sarcastically.

        "Laugh all you want, but I can never see it over the buildings." I pointed to the clearing through the trees, which you could watch Apollo pulling the chariot across the sky.

        "So how are we getting to Tahoe?"

        "No idea," I placed a soft kiss on Silena's head and in return she placed one on my cheek.

        "We should plan right now and then get Thalia and Sam's opinion on it." Silena suggested.

        "I like that that idea," So we stood up and began planning.

Thalia's POV

        I woke up to familiar voices shouting and I needed to sleep, so I did what any demigod would do: grabbed my dagger and carefully stepped outside.

        "That is an awful idea, Jake!" Silena was shouting at Jake and I stuck my dagger in its sheath around my hips.

        "Well it better than yours!" He shouted back at her. This was getting interesting.

        "Ahem," I was tired of watching them fight after ten seconds.

        "Oh," Silena looked shocked to see me up already. I can't blame her. I once slept through construction going on next door. "I didn't realize you were awake."

        "I can't blame you," I shrugged my shoulders and realized Sammy wasn't up yet. How in the Hades did he sleep through my snoring?

        "We were discussing the fastest and safest way to get to Tahoe," Jake informed me and explained how we were in the redwood forest.

        "Well what are the plans?" I asked and they told me both plans. I have to say Silena's was the most thought out, but Jake's was fast and that's what we needed, speed.