-------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person

     It had been around a week since Sirius Black broke in and also a week since Maera spoke to the trio. Harry saw her only a few times, thrice in the greenhouses with Neville, once pulling a prank with the Twins, and one other time playing cards with Dean and Seamus in the common room.

The day after Sirius Black's break-in, the trio kept trying to talk to her and ask her if she was alright but they would always get a half-hearted "I'm fine." in return.

Harry had noticed the bags under her eyes had deepened and she seemed a little thinner. Harry had even tried to go up to her dorm to get her to come to dinner but the stairs immediately turned into a slide.

It was hard not having his best friend around.

The school talked of nothing but Sirius Black for the next few days. The theories about how he had entered the castle became wilder and wilder; Hannah Abbott, from Hufflepuff, spent much of their next Herbology class telling anyone who'd listen that Black could turn into a flowering shrub.

The Fat Lady's ripped canvas had been taken off the wall and replaced with the portrait of Sir Cadogan and his fat gray pony. Nobody was very happy about this. Sir Cadogan spent half his time challenging people to duels, and the rest thinking up ridiculously complicated passwords, which he changed at least twice a day.

"He's a complete lunatic," said Seamus Finnigan angrily to Percy. "Can't we get anyone else?"

"None of the other pictures wanted the job," said Percy. "Frightened of what happened to the Fat Lady. Sir Cadogan was the only one brave enough to volunteer."

Sir Cadogan, however, was the least of Harry's worries. He and Maera were now being closely watched. Teachers found excuses to walk along corridors with them, and Percy Weasley (acting, Harry suspected, on his mother's orders) was tailing both teens everywhere like an extremely pompous guard dog. To cap it all, Professor McGonagall summoned Harry into her office, with such a somber expression on her face Harry thought someone must have died.

"There's no point hiding it from you any longer, Potter," she said in a very serious voice. "I know this will come as a shock to you, but Sirius Black —"

"I know he's after me and Maera," said Harry wearily. "I heard Ron's dad telling his mum. Mr. Weasley works for the Ministry of Magic."

Professor McGonagall seemed very taken aback. She stared at Harry for a moment or two, then said, "I see! Well, in that case, Potter, you'll understand why I don't think it's a good idea for you or Miss Black to be practicing Quidditch in the evenings. Out on the field with only your team members, it's very exposed, Potter —"

"We've got our first match on Saturday!" said Harry, outraged. "we've got to train, Professor!" Professor McGonagall considered him intently. Harry knew she was deeply interested in the Gryffindor team's prospects; it had been she, after all, who'd suggested him as Seeker in the First Place. Also, talking about training with Maera, he felt a slight pang in his heart since the last time they had been training was the day of Halloween and he still kept the moving picture in his pocket wherever he went. Harry waited, holding his breath.