When Winter Comes

Winter holiday came faster this year.

For the safety of all teachers and students it was agreed that Hogwarts would close for the month of December into early January in order to facilitate the structural security of the castle. At the time the students were to return to the castle it was also hoped that the refurbished Gryffindor tower would be complete and safe to move into.

Unfortunately, for everyone's safety, no student could remain at the castle, meaning that even the likes of Amelia and Nero had to leave. It was not even a question whether Amelia would stay with the Potters because obviously she would. Lucy, too, was wrangled into the Potter bunch as her parents were hesitant to raise the question with her still fuming grandfather.

The fate of Nero, however was not a concern for the Gryffindor second years until they were inexplicably privy to a rather private conversation spoken much louder than it aught to have been.

As Amelia, Lucy, James, and a handful of other second years sat in the Slytherin common room. Amelia studied the theory of Alchemy while the rest played with an assortment of magical toys ranging from chess boards, gobstones sets, and a few things purchased at Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. As they relaxed, the entrance to Slytherin house opened to reveal Professor Sanchez in his usual attire and facial hair aesthetic.

"Have you seen Mr. Animon?" he asked the crowd of Gryffindors.  James tried his best to hide on of the the toys on the ground that was definitely banned from Hogwarts grounds.

"Not recently professor," he said as innocently as possible.  The toy came flying out from behind James into the professor's hand.

"Nice try Mr. Potter, five points from Gryffindor," Professor Sanchez said walking away towards the boys dorms as James rolled his eyes and collapsed on the floor in disappointment.

"What do you think he wants with Nero?" Lucy asked checking Athena's king.

"Probably to plot something sinister," James said acting like a child throwing a tantrum.  The door opened to the corridor once more and Nero walked in with Larry at his side.

"Nero, Professor Sanchez was looking for you." Lucy said, "Check mate."

Athena looked at the board in frustration.

"How do you keep doing that?" Athena said examining the pieces.

"Do you wanna play again and try to figure it out?" Lucy asked.

"What did Professor Sanchez want?" Nero asked.

"To destroy happiness I suppose," James said his face pushed into the carpet muffling his pathetic ness, but not enough for everyone around to know that he was being pathetic. 

"Okay," Nero said walking towards the dorms just as Professor Sanchez emerged from within.

"There you are Mr. Animon," the professor said approaching Nero from across the room.

"You wanted to see me?" He said in his usual monotone voice.

"We haven't heard back from your parents about going home for December," Professor Sanchez said.

"Can't I just stay at the castle?" Nero asked.

"No, it's not going to safe for you.  We either need to hear back from your parents or you'll have to go to the Guardian home in London until the school reopens."

Emotion flooded Nero's usually calm face.

"You can't be serious, professor!" Nero said with the most emotion anyone in the room had heard from him thus far.