Holding His Hand

The party was at Tom's house. "Do not leave my side for him." Alex said to me seriously as we got out of the car. "Do not fucking start with that Alex." I warned him getting a confused look from his parents. I got embarrassed for saying that in front of them, and knocked on the door.

The door was opened by Tom and he pulled me inside and I saw everyone that I knew inside jump up from random places and scream "SURPRISE!" at me. I felt two arms circle around me and spin me around, I laughed and yelled to stop. I was put down and turned to see Alex Standing at the door, watching Tom with a deadly stare. My smile dropped as he put me on the ground, and Alex crossed his arms, as he let himself be swallowed by the crowd of my family and friends. Groaning I kissed Tom on his cheek and gave him a sad smile, "I'm going to go find the cry baby." He smiled at my words, "Don't think I forgot, I couldn't prove it at lunch so I'll prove it here." he said, then nudged me to go find Alex.

I walked into the crowd of people and started asking if anyone knew where Alex went. "I saw him go into the backyard." said Hector. "Thanks Love." I said giving him a hug then going to the back door that led to the patio. "Alex?" I called as I stepped outside."What?" he shot back from somewhere. "Come here baby." I said looking around the yard, then spotted him in a old treehouse. "You can see me, you come here." he said and taking a drink from his cup in his hand.

I slipped off my heels and held them in one hand and pulled myself up the rope ladder. I made it up with out falling down and busting my ass on the ground. The treehouse was awesome, it had old toys in there, chairs, all different kinds of sports memorabilia, a table, and old pictures in protective cases. I walked towards the ledge Alex sat at. I sat down next to him putting my legs under the railing and my arms around its support. "Why did you leave me for-" I peered into his cup "Cheap beer." He grimaced at me, "Because you were busy at the time, working the crowd of guys I didn't think you would even notice my absence." He voice cut me, even if he was just a little buzzed he turned into a Asshole. So my next words didn't even phrase me as they slipped out of my mouth, "You are an asshole just like that pig of an Ex, Mea." I stood up and went down the ladder, put on my heels, and walked towards the sidewalk to go home.

Two blocks later I realized, I had on heels and wasn't walking all the way home in them. Turning around I pulled my phone from its hiding place, my boobs. I saw that no one realized I left my own party. I called Kayla, and she answered a minute later. "Where are you at?" she said into the phone in a hushed whisper, "Walking back there right now. Why?" I said into the phone. Her words made me peel off my heels and sprint towards Tom's house.

"911 what's you emergency?" The man said calm and clearly. "My father is holding my friends and family in my friend Tom's house he has a gun. I need police now. The address is 4523 Grove st." I said as I ran, "I'm sending police now." he said "I need to go." I said reaching the house, "Hide your phone I need you to stay on the phone." he said. "I can't talk to you but I'll keep it on." I put my phone inside my bra, as I climbed up the stairs and knocked on the door.

Luke answered the door with my dad standing behind him with a shotgun pointed at his back. "Welcome Kimmy." My dad had a smirk on his face as he motioned for me to enter the house. The people were all on the floor with their hands on their heads. "You always knew how to ruin a party I'll give you that." I said while looking at everyone. My dad smashed the butt of the shotgun into my ribs. "Always had smart ass comments Kim, didn't you learn not to fuck with me yet." he said while I held my ribs feeling the swelling already. "I haven't obviously, but I think you should hop off my dick daddy dearest."

He grabbed me by the hair and slammed the butt of the gun into my face, over and over. After ten or fifteen times, he threw me to the floor. My vision was blurred, my mouth tasted of blood, and my face slick with blood from my nose. "WHAT THE FUCK MAN!" yelled Tom from the floor, I looked over and saw Alex unconscious, his parents holding pieces of cloth to his head. His blood had made the white cloth into a deep red, it stained their hands. I looked up at them, their eyes met mine and his mother sobbed harder.

I tried standing up, I fell to the ground over and over. The voices started growing louder and louder, but it was hard to listen. I crawled to the stairs, and pulled myself up to a 'Standing' position. I crept up behind my dad and kicked him in the balls. Tom tried to get the shotgun out of his hand, my dad had a strong hold onto it and the trigger got pulled..

The bullet hit Ray, right in the shoulder. "RAY!" I screamed, my knees gave out under me, and I crawled over to him. His shirt had blood draining onto it like a sponge in water. My uncle had taken off his shirt and held it to Ray's shoulder. "Son Of A Bitch!" Ray yelled in pain as he moved his shoulder while my uncle sat him up against the wall.

I could hear the sirens, and everyone else heard them too. "Down the basement," my dad yelled, no one moved. "Down the fucking basement." he said pulling me up by my arm and putting the gun's barrel at the back of my head. Slowly everyone got up and went down the basement stairs, Alex was carried by Luke and Tom. Ray was helped down by my uncle.

After everyone had got down the basement, he locked it so only him and I were upstairs. "What is the plan dad?" I asked crossing my arms trying to calm myself, and stay standing up. "Shut up Kim." he said pacing around the room. I had just remembered I still had my phone on, and the operator could hear everything. "There's about 25 or 30 people down the basement, there's only one exit dad. Two of them are injured, you beat one unconscious, and you shot Ray in the shoulder. Let them go." I spoke loudly, hoping the operator would tell the police. "YOU ARE SURROUNDED COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP." the man's voice echoed through the house. "Fuck.. Fuck.. FUCK!" he starting acting psychotic. He kept rambling under his breath, and pulling at his hair. He snapped I don't know if he just realized that he had just shot his son, or beaten his daughter and her boyfriend to a bloody pulp. But my dad had lost it.

"Dad." I questioned, I was starting to get anxious. He looked over at me wide eyed, his hair wild from pulling at it. My father had lost it, you could see it in his eyes. He didn't want to do this anymore, and I was going to make sure he didn't. "Let them go, I'll stay here. Just let them go." I said in a hopefully calm and reassuring voice. He nodded once, motioning for me to get the door. I moved away the chair blocking the door, and unlocked it. "Everyone calm down, walk slowly out the front door." I said opening the door, seeing everyone's faces. They quickly got up and out. Alex and Ray were one of the first out. I shut the door, after them. I saw a line of police cars around the front of the house. The police were waving for me to run to them, but I couldn't.

For the first time in years I felt like my father needed help, and not just mentally. "Dad let's go." I said walking towards him slowly extending my hand for him. "No." he said, his grip on the shotgun grew tighter. "Please Dad you can't stay in here forever. They will cone in here, and soon." I said keeping my hand out for him. "They'll shoot me on sight." he said grimly. "I promise they won't, not if your walking behind me. Ok?" I said forcing a small smile, as he laid the gun on ground.

I held his hand, and stood at the front door. I felt like I was 5 years old again, the time I got in trouble for breaking the neighbors window. I just held on to his hand like it was my last hope. I remember when I stepped outside I thought I was going to get a good beating. But he just laughed it off, saying how talented I was being able to actually hit the baseball. But now, it was different. I was his last hope, and this wouldn't be laughed off.

Holding his hand, I opened the door and saw everyone behind the police. "We are coming out, Don't shoot my dad." I said loudly. The police nodded to me, waving me slowly to exit. He gripped my shirt, our hands sweating and damp. Well who could blame us, he was about to give himself up, and I had a psycho attached to me. I took a few slow steps out and saw the police raise their guns to us. "He is giving himself up, put your fucking gun down!" I yelled. My voice shaking slightly, I cursed at the police, something I never dreamt I would have done. "Get on the ground, hands on your head." A man yelled. "Come on dad." I said leaning down to the ground and got on my knees. He didn't get down on the ground though.

The next thing I knew my dad laid in front of me, with one bullet though his heart. And I felt something new inside of me that would never come out.