"Ow!" She gasped as she bumped into him. "What?!"

Ryuga stared at the bushes. They continued to rustle before a coyote stepped out, its gaze fixed on Madoka and Ryuga. Madoka yelped in alarm. She backed away, tripping and falling backwards on the ground. The coyote stepped forward. Its eyes, fixed on Madoka, were narrowed into slits. Ryuga stepped forward.

"Wait, Ryuga!" Madoka gasped. "What are you..."

Ryuga continued forward, his eyes narrowed and teeth bared. The coyote shrank back before turning and running with its tail between its legs, yelping like a scared puppy. Ryuga looked back at Madoka. She was staring up at him with wide eyes.

"H-how?"

"Coyotes are cowards," Ryuga grunted, continuing forward. "They'll run from anyone."

Madoka got to her feet again. "Uh... I don't know about that," she replied, rushing to catch up to him.

"They only go after easy prey." Ryuga glared down at her. "You could've gotten yourself killed trying to run like that."

"I..." Madoka looked away, shivering slightly. "I didn't know that..."

Ryuga stopped, gazing ahead into the forest. He had seen coyotes in these woods a few times but they never came anywhere near him. Now all of a sudden one had approached him and Madoka. It was clear as day. The coyote had been going for Madoka, and if Ryuga hadn't been with her... A chill ran down his spine.

"Come on," he grunted, turning and walking the other way.

"Where are you going?" Madoka asked, following him.

"Back to the city. Before you come up with another way to get yourself killed."

Madoka's eyes narrowed. "Well, what was I supposed to do mister know it all?!" she demanded.

"Anything but that."

"I panicked, okay?! How..." Madoka suddenly looked away, visibly trembling. "How were you not scared?"

Ryuga chuckled lightly, "I've faced much worse."

Madoka seemed a bit taken aback by his answer. "Do I even want to know?" She asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

Ryuga shrugged, "Probably not." He didn't want to talk about it anyways. The less he had to think about his past, the better.

Madoka let out a sigh. "I... I should thank you... for saving my life."

Ryuga was silent for a few moments, trying to think of how to respond.

"No problem," he replied, dipping his head.

Madoka smiled a bit. In truth, Ryuga didn't understand why Madoka was even thanking him: he had just done what he needed to keep both of them safe. That didn't require gratitude. Ryuga and Madoka walked back to the city together, all the way to the bey shop.

"Stay safe... will you?" Ryuga added hastily, hoping he didn't sound weird.

Madoka just smiled. "Same to you, my friend."

Ryuga turned and walked away. *So she considers me a friend then...* Attempting to shake away his thoughts, Ryuga cast a glance at the sky. The sun was beginning to set. *Kenta's parents will want me back at the house,* he thought, rolling his eyes. So he made his way down the street.

"Ryuga, there you are!"

Ryuga stopped at the sound of a familiar voice. He glanced over his shoulder. Kyoya was standing several paces behind him, pointing his launcher at him.