"No, not really." Ye An replied tiredly, it was an effort to refrain from throwing up with each word.

Xi Chen looked out the window to check on the sun. "It's probably a little past noon now. Shall we stop at the plateau for lunch before we descend the mountain?"

"Yes, yes." Ye An answered hurriedly. If they didn't take any breaks, she might just soil the entire coach with vomit before they got off the mountain. It would be a disaster if they ended up having to travel another three hours in a vomit-covered coach after that.

Xi Chen pulled the curtain away from the window that was by his side and gestured for a nearby royal guard to come closer.

"We're nearing the plateau at the top, isn't it?" Xi Chen asked the guard in a way only commanding officers who were requesting information from their subordinates do.

"Yes, lieutenant."

"Then we'll stop for lunch there. Please inform the others."

"Understood."

When they arrived at the plateau, Ye An was still feeling unwell. "You go ahead, I'll stay in here for a little longer."

"It's alright. The servants are still setting up for lunch. I'll stay here to accompany you."

Ye An didn't have the energy to even think about a reply to that, she only closed her eyes and took shallow breaths as she patted her chest in hopes of patting down the vomit that was steadily surging upwards.

"Your Imperial Majesty, please allow me." Before Ye An could respond, Xi Chen scooted over to her side and patted her back in circles.

Catching the way Ye An was intuitively starting to jerk herself away, Xi Chen crossed his other arm over the small part above her chest and place his hand over the ball of her shoulder that was furthest from him to hold her firmly in place before calmly explaining. "Ah Lin always gets sick when he rides in palanquins and chariots. This is what I always do. And it always seems to make him feel better."

Xi Chen's calm demeanor and the matter-of-fact way that he was explaining what he was doing made Ye An feel like she would be the weird one if she made a big fuss out of being in such close proximity with the lieutenant. So she only stuttered. "A-alright.. Hic!" And ended up with a hiccup.

"Hic!" And another. It didn't seem as if the hiccups would stop anytime soon.

Xi Chen was still rubbing her back and could feel each and every one of Ye An's hiccups with the palm of his hand which only made him pat and rub her back more to try to stop it. "Your Imperial Majesty, are you alright?"

It was too close for Ye An that she didn't dare to look at Xi Chen in the eyes as she tried to gently remove herself from him. "I feel.. hic.. Better now.. hic.. But could you just get my food.. hic.. Into the chariot?"

Thinking that Ye An probably didn't want to be seen by the others while having uncontrollable hiccups, he agreed obediently and went out to grab some food for her.

"Lieutenant Yun! What took you so long?" Ah Lin came bounding to Xi Chen like a puppy when he saw him exit the royal chariot. Even though they were as close as brothers, they made the decision a long time ago to call each other by their official titles while on any official engagement or event to separate their personal and professional relationship. For Ah Lin, it was so that no one in the military would question Xi Chen's authority; while Xi Chen did it so that the others won't discredit Ah Lin's achievements as a soldier.

"His Imperial Majesty isn't feeling too well."

"Oh." Having had plenty of experience being sick from travels himself, Ah Lin could empathize with the emperor. "But shouldn't he just come out for air? The air here is exceptionally fresh since we're on top of the mountain."

Xi Chen looked towards the royal chariot and then back at Ah Lin before pulling him away. "Maybe later. When his stomach settles. For now, I just need to get some food for him."

Ah Lin nodded and directed him to where the servants were unpacking the food.

"Do you want to join me at the festival tonight?" Ah Lin whispered to Xi Chen excitedly as they waited for the grand eunuch to prepare the emperor's food.

"Are you sure you want me around? I feel like you're only going there to pick up some girls."

"Now, there's no need to use such harsh words. It's called enchanting girls. Not pick up." Ah Lin tutted. "And besides, I do actually want to look around and join in on the festivities to see if they actually live up to the stories I heard from the soldiers at the northern border who originated from around this area."

Xi Chen instinctively cast a glance at the royal chariot again before turning to answer Ah Lin. "Sure, I'll join you. His Imperial Majesty would probably like to visit the festival too."

Ah Lin rolled his eyes. "It's a wonder how no one else had caught up with how you're head over heels for His Imperial Majesty. You're making it so obvious."

"Is it?" If anyone else were close to them, they would have been able to immediately tell that Xi Chen was embarrassed based on his reddened ears.

Ah Lin could only sigh before noticing a familiar silhouette that was walking towards them. "Oh? Isn't that Chang?"

+*Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow if you like what you've read <3*+