Chapter 39 Picnic

Start from the beginning

Ye An turned to Xi Chen. "I'm assuming that one of them is for Adlai and his party. And then the other is to carry all of the extra items for the sacrificial ceremony. So why is there an extra chariot?"

Xi Chen bowed to the emperor. "I believe it's for the Empress Mother."

"Ah." Ye An nodded. It's been a while since she last saw the Empress Mother that she had forgotten the elderly royal would also be attending the ceremony. Which also meant that General Shao would be there too. Ye An let out a barely audible sigh. "Let's go then."

Xi Chen helped Ye An into the coach, but before she entered, Ye An caught a glimpse of one of the royal guards who was winking at her and recognized Ah Lin. "Wait, is that Ah Lin?"

"Yes, he wanted to join us and I could use more guards so I allowed him to tag along. But I think he's just joining because he wants to attend the Mid-Autumn Festival that the commoners throw in the southern plains."

The Mid-Autumn Festival was an annual event that was held in the southern plains where most of the nation's agricultural crops came from. While the sacrificial ceremony was an integral part of Mid-Autumn, the festival was the highlight for the people where they celebrated in the streets that were lit up with lanterns and joy.

"Well, can't say I blame him. It's one of the most extravagant festivals in the country. Even I'm intrigued." Ye An replied as she entered the coach with Xi Chen following close behind. Once they were seated, Xi Chen knocked on the wall of the enclosed coach and they were soon on their way out of the capital.

The southern plains was actually much closer in terms of proximity to the capital than the northern border was. However, a treacherous mountain range separated the southern plains from the central region of the country where the capital was located which lengthened the travel time.

As they traveled south, the symphony of animals returned. The weather here hadn't quite caught onto the coolness of autumn. Birds were chirping at intervals as they perched on tree branches that still had some leaves of varying shades on them. The dried and crunchy-looking leaves gave out prominently soul-soothing rustles that would lull anyone to sleep. Not Ye An though.

Ye An was green around the gills as they traveled on the windy path through the mountain range, the beads of her crown swaying with the movement of the chariot making her feel dizzier than she already was. Even though she had traveled out of the palace walls countless times, this was her first time traveling so far out of the capital. It was also the first time she had traveled at such a high altitude. The constant erratic movements of the chariot and the lack of air were making Ye An woozy. She pulled away the curtain that covering the window near her and put her face out for some air, accidentally making eye contact with one of the royal guards on horseback. Ye An immediately pulled herself back from the window. How embarrassing!

"Xi Chen, do you not feel dizzy at all?" Ye An asked as she placed a clammy hand on her forehead in lethargy.

Xi Chen who was engrossed in the document for the security protocols that would be implemented at the temple didn't notice Ye An's discomfort until now. "Your Imperial Majesty! Are you alright?"