Restless night

That night Cassia couldn't sleep. Tucked up in her sleeping bag trying to figure out what she had seen. Cassia knew it wasn't an animal that happened to be passing by because it was too big. The girl had tried multiple times to get to sleep but was still restless. She laid there, agitated, staring up. Wasn't much to see but that was the only thing that would distract her. 

She began to drift off when a twig snapped beside her tent. Cassia jolted up, the zip of the sleeping bag sliding down at the sudden movement. Timmy had obviously heard it too because his head jerked up. The dog had got up from his position on George's feet and over to the entrance to the tent. He used his teeth to pull up the zip slightly so he could launch himself out and attack.  

Silence. Nothing was heard for a long time. Cassia wanted to go out and check what it was but was frozen in place. Although it could have been an animal, but it seemed a bit suspicious. The fact that Timmy was preparing for an attack was a bit unusual. The sound of footsteps on grass passed the tent and Cassia held her breath because it was no use trying to steady her breath. The footsteps stopped as Timmy was letting out a growl. They started up again but were coming back the same way they came.

Confused, Cassia got out of her sleeping bag and went over to the entrance of the tent. Only when she got moving did she remember the necklace around her neck. Her mother had given it to her when she was five. Her mother had told her it was very important and to keep it round her neck at all times. The necklace had a long, thin, sliver chain and a silver heart with a pink crystal placed in the middle. 

Cassia went to grab her torch so she could find out who, or what, it was but decided that it was a stupid idea. The girl peeked her head out of the tent and leaned towards where the footsteps were coming from. After being in a dark tent, her eyes had adjusted so she was able to see. She looked around but there was nothing. Cassia saw something run across but as she squinted her eyes she found it only to be a fox.

Cassia retreated back into the tent and went over to her sleeping bag. She got in and zipped it back up, laying down. She thought she would be awake all night but her eyes began to droop. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

"Are you sure it is safe master? That dog sound very territorial" A voice whispered.

"Just get that necklace! When I have that I can get out of this country!" Another voice whispered back. 

"Why can't you do it yourself?" The first voice asked, immediately regretting it.

"Because all of them have seen me before. You know I can't risk that!" The voice answered, raising his voice, "No more questions! Just.Get.The.Job.Done"

The man who spoke first nodded his head quickly. The master walked off towards the lake, gritting his teeth.