Let them flow

Cassia had woken from George's heavy breathing. As stupid as it sounds, yes, Cassia was a very light sleeper. She reached over to her bedside cabinet for a drink but only to find her glass was empty. She let out a sigh and sat up. She expected Timmy to wake up from a slight sound like this but he was probably tired out from the day before. Cassia placed her feet lightly on the ground as she was cautious of creaky floorboards. She tiptoed towards the door, glass in one hand and the other opening the door of the bedroom. 

As soon as she step out onto the landing, she heard something unusual. Was it... crying? Cautiously, she looked to her left seeing nothing and now quite terrified to look right. She looked to her right and saw a figure sat, crying, on the floor. 'It looks like Anne. But Anne is-' Cassia looks back in the bedroom to see Anne missing from her bed, 'Oh' 

Feeling slight relief that it wasn't something that shouldn't be there, she walked towards the girl. Cassia thought she knew what Anne maybe crying about but who knows after the trouble they have been through the last few days. Cassia sat down beside Anne, making sure her nightgown covered her underwear as she sat, and put an arm around her shoulders. Anne, not noticing Cassia, let out a quiet cry and scooted away from her a bit. Once the frightened girl knew who she was, she moved into Cassia's arms and cried further. 

"Is it the camping trip or the figure?" Cassia asked, feeling a bit guilty as she was the one that wanted to go and solve the mystery. 

"Both" Anne answered, sniffling. 

Cassia could feel the tears on her skin that had soaked through her nightgown. She began to stroke Anne's hair, knowing it helped Anne a lot. Cassia thought Anne's hair looked a bit bare as it usually had some sort of accessory attached. Anne laughed a little knowing she probably looked stupid crying over some camping trip. 

"Sorry" Anne said, letting go of Cassia and wiping her eyes, "You probably think I'm stupid crying over a camping trip"

"No Anne I don't think you are stupid" Cassia said, "You have a pretty valid reason to cry and remember when I was crying on the beach?"

"Yes" Anne replied.

"In all likelihood, the people passing probably thought why is she crying and if I knew how stupid I looked," Cassia whispered "but they had no clue how terrified I was so they have no right to say that I looked pathetic"

Cassia offered a small smile to the girl with red, puffy eyes that no longer had tears streaming out of. Anne nodded, understanding that no one had a right to call her anything as they wouldn't understand. Cassia stood up and extended her hand for Anne to take, which she gladly took. The two girls walked back to the room in silence. Not an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. 

"Can you sing me a song?" Anne asked, pulling the covers over her head. 

"Ok" Cassia said, feeling unsure whether she should or not. 

Although Cassia liked to sing, she didn't think she actually sounded right when she did. She had never in her life sang in front of anyone and would do but Anne really needed comfort right now. The song she was going to sing was One Sweet Day - Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men. She had heard the song a couple of times on the radio, enough for her to know the song by heart.   

"Sorry I never told you
All I wanted to say
Now it's too late to hold you
'Cause you've flown away
So far away
Never had I imagined
Living without your smile
Feeling and knowing you hear me
It keeps me alive
Alive
And I know you're shining down on me from heaven
Like so many friends we've lost along the way
And I know eventually we'll be together
One sweet day"   

Cassia finished the chorus and didn't carry on as she noticed that Anne was asleep.

She kissed Anne's forehead and left the room, glass in hand. The fact that Anne had fell asleep made Cassia feel confident about her voice, knowing it was soothing enough to send someone to sleep. Creeping down the stairs, having no idea that her boyfriend was following her. Making her way towards the kitchen on the balls of her feet, she heard a creek from behind her. Slowly turning around only gave Dick more time to hide. Snickering, Dick followed Cassia into the kitchen. 

As she turned the tap on to fill her glass, Dick asked "Guess who?"

"Hmm is it Jack?" Cassia replied knowing Jack was someone Dick despised.

Even with it being dark, she knew he had rolled his eyes. She turned the tap off and turned to face him, leaning on the sink. Dick approached her, closing a little more space between them. Dick was now leaning on a counter opposite the sink. 

"So, why are you up?" Dick asked, pushing himself up to sit on the counter he had previously been leaning on. 

"Woke up from George's heavy breathing. Before you ask, yes I am a light sleeper" Cassia answered taking a sip of the needed liquid, "Why are you up?"

"Heard someone singing, thought it have been a ghost until I recognised it" Dick said, laughing as he knew Cassia had never sung in front of anyone and probably wanted to keep it that way, "One Sweet Day wasn't Cassia?"

It didn't even have to be broad daylight to know that Cassia was blushing. Cassia didn't even bother replying as Dick already knew his answer if he heard her. Taking another sip of her drink, she head to the kitchen door. 

Dick grabbed hold of her arm before asking "Why were you singing?"

Cassia knew that Anne probably didn't want anyone to know about it even though she had been told by Cassia that people can't think she is pathetic because they are not her in the situation. She faced Dick, looking into his eyes as she had adjusted to the dark. 

"Anne got to excited about the trip tomorrow and couldn't sleep. She told me that even though she didn't like adventures she still wants to go camping" Cassia said trying to make the lie as realistic as possible. 

Dick nodded, believing the lie as it sounded just like Anne. He held onto Cassia's hand as they walked to her room, dropping her off like a gentleman, before walking back to his own.