Chapter Thirty-Three

Give Up

I passed out after that. I woke up the next morning with an extreme urge to slap Rush for what he did but I didn't have the energy to sate my thirst for bloodshed. My body was utterly weak and my poor attempts from getting out of bed didn't work. It was freezing like hell too.

Seconds later after that, the ache in my head registered and I found myself closing my eyes and pressing my pillow against my head to stop it from pounding. What I was feeling was even worse than a hangover.

"Maxie, dear?" narinig ko ang mahinang katok ni mommy mula sa pintuan. Kumirot lalo ang ulo ko sa maliit na ingay na iyon. My senses were sensitive and my body felt too heavy that I feel like I'll be sinking in my bed anytime.

My mother then came in and found out I was sick. She wanted to bring me to the hospital but I told her how I didn't want to. Masama ang pakiramdam ko pero hindi naman ganoon kalala para dalhin pa ako sa hospital.

Hapon nang dinalaw ako ni Grant at mukhang hindi niya inaasahan na magkakasakit ako. He said he came because I wasn't answering any of his messages and calls. Hindi ko naman sadya iyon. Sa sobrang sakit ng katawan at sama ng pakiramdam ko ay hindi ko na nagawang tingnan pa ang phone ko. I don't even have the slightest clue where my phone is.

My dad personally called Mr. Herrera for me. He told him about my current condition. Wala naman naging problema kay Mr. Herrera ang hindi ko pagpasok ngayong araw. Bandang gabi na nang dumalaw sa akin si Kade, siguro ay dahil kakaalis niya lang ng office. I told him everything that happened and it completely pissed him off. He was furious, and I know that he wanted to say something but he decided to be smart and kept it to himself.

It was the second day when I stopped from hoping that Rush would come visit and see how I was doing. It was later that night when I found out that I made a good decision because he never came to see me. Kahit nga isang call o text ay wala akong natanggap mula sa kanya. Of course it hurts, but I already made a resolution to bring back the old Maxwell. The old Maxwell who doesn't let a simple pain affect her, the old Maxwell who's willing to do anything-just to get what she wants, and the old Maxwell who quickly recovers and stand up after falling hard.

On day three, I was left with cough and cold. Hindi pa ako masyadong magaling pero kailangan ko nang pumasok. My parents want me to rest for another day but I'm sick of bed rest. I've done nothing but stay in my bed for two straight days and I'd die not of sickness but of boredom if it lasted for another.

Dad gave me a ride to the office. According to him, hindi pa ako masyadong magaling para magdrive mag-isa. I didn't complain. I already drove a hard bargain when I told them that I'll be reporting to work today.

My work load was light. Aside from the papers that I was asked to give a brief summary, I didn't have anything else to do. I had lunch with Kade at the cafeteria because I didn't feel like eating out. After lunch, Kade headed back to his department and I went back to my floor.

"Maxie, will you please come inside, please?" narinig ko ang boses ni Mr. Herrera mula sa intercom. I pressed a button to answer before leaving my desk and heading towards his office.

"Goodmorning, Sir." I politely greeted and he mumbled his good morning.

"I have a favor to ask you," he said. A favor from your boss isn't really the type of favor that you can say no to. Asking a favor is more like an order than a request. It's something that I'm obliged to fulfill even if I don't want to. I mentally sighed. Maybe Kade was right. My social skills suck.

"Anything, Mr. Herrera."

Mr. Herrera smiled, pulling a drawer on his desk and revealing a long, smooth, and brown envelope. He placed it on top of the desk and slid it across him. "I have two meetings scheduled for this afternoon, correct?"