❀ . . . twenty

IT WAS WITH THE LUNCH

kakashi bit his lip underneath his mask

kakashi bit his lip underneath his mask. he would have to explain everything to you at lunch. he wasn't sure how to even begin the conversation. maybe you would bring up the topic of shinobi again and he could tell you. if it went well, in kakashi's opinion, you would decide it wasn't for you and pick another profession.

he was so focused he almost forgot he was cooking. he quickly flipped over beef.

"kakashi."

his head shot up. "yeah, y/n."

"is something bothering you?"

"no, nothing at all. i just got distracted is all," he lied.

you placed a few slices of the meat on your plate. kakashi did the same. you cocked her head feeling like he wasn't being completely honest.

"since we've agreed we're friends, you can tell me when something is worrying you," you frowned.

"y/n, are you sure becoming a medical ninja is what you want?" he set his plate down.

"yeah, i wanna help others like you and lady tsunade too. i know it's going to be a lot of hard work but i can do it."

"the life of a shinobi is going to be stressful and painful. the more skilled you become, the worse it will get. you'll see your comrades die before you, that won't go away easily. and i don't want to see you hurt."

the last words slipped from his thoughts when he was trying so hard to keep his mouth shut. he brought himself to look at her surprised expression. you placed you chopsticks down.

and smiled at him, your shoulder squished your cheek. "i know it's not going to easy. i saw what happened to sasuke and how it's affected naruto and sakura. i see the ninja that come in after losing someone." you looked out the window.

"i know i don't understand half of what it feels like. medical ninja make sure their team comes back complete. i'll make sure what happened to my parents doesn't happen to my teammates," you continued.

"what happened to your parents?" he asked.

"i only learned this recently, my parents were shinobi just like you. apparently they were very skilled too. i haven't learned the story of their deaths yet, but i don't want more people to have to feel what we felt."

you continued smiling the entire time.

"well since you truly want this, i'll be right here to support you and help you with everything."

you gasped, but it was almost unheard. he watched your eyes light up again. your shoulders rose and your smile grew bigger than he's ever seen. the sunlight from the window highlighted your features.

"thank you so much kakashi!"

his eye widened and, underneath his mask, his lips were parted in a silent gasp. he rubbed the back of his neck feeling a new rush of nervousness.

a/n: and then i got another message telling me they like my work it makes me happy

and votes too, if you don't vote or comment i still appreciate you just reading that's literally everything to me. just knowing people like my work makes me wanna keep writing

imma need a new phrase cause i just keep using i love you