Chapter 12

As we continue our track towards the city and its emergency route, I can't help but wonder about many things.

I wonder what Jason will do when he finds Jessica, what we will find in the city...Most importantly, the buzzing feeling in my head tells me that something horrible is about to happen.

"We're close. The problem is that according to this map, we'll have to go through the city periphery to get to the emergency route they have," Nathan says sometime later.

"Shouldn't there be fewer people on the outskirts since most people were in the city centers when this whole thing started because of the official announcement?" Marge asks.

I can't help but shiver at the idiocy of the government. More people have died at that gathering than anywhere else, but I guess they didn't take things as seriously as they should have.

They were more concerned with keeping their position than they were about saving lives. It was so sad but not surprising.

To say that those meetings were a bloodbath would've been an understatement, and I'm trying not to think about all the people that I lost in those senseless gatherings.

"Yes, but since then, they might have started forming hordes, migrating. There is no telling where or when the zombies will be," Eric says.

"But don't we have like an animal expert who is in charge of following the migration patterns," I ask, confused.

"I heard that you have those, and that's how I learned all this, talking to Jason. However, it's not a precise science since newly turned people don't act the same way, like those who attacked us. Who says there won't be more like that?" Eric asks.

"Okay, then we'll have to be extra careful," Nathan says.

"Marissa, I know you don't like guns and killing, but please take this just in case," Nathan says to me as he hands me the smaller gun.

I take it without hesitation since I understand now that for us to survive, I have to adapt.

"I'll do my best to get rid of all the zombies, but I can't be sure I'll succeed, and I want you to be safe," he says, looking deep into my eyes.

The way I feel is so new and wonderful that I can't understand it. How can anything feel good in a world that is falling apart?

"Thank you, I really appreciate that," I say.

As we continue walking, we come upon a high chain fence that seems to be protecting some kind of wastewater collection station. I am not sure.

"We can take a shortcut over that fence. According to the map, if we cut through here when we come out on the other side, we'll be right in front of the emergency route," Nathan says, looking around cautiously.

I feel like his ears might grow bigger how intently he is listening. I don't hear anything, but he seems to as his expression changes to one of worry.

"We need to hurry up. Dad, you go first. That way, we can help mom and Marissa climb over the fence," Nathan says in a rush of words that I barely understand.

Eric hops over the high fence as if he was twenty years younger. Then they proceed to help Marge get over it as well.

That's when I see them. Shuffling towards us with blood-covered dirty clothes and parts of their bodies missing.

"Nathan," I shout-whisper.

"I hear them," Nathan says as he finally manages to lift his mother up on the fence.

She then jumps from the top of the fence into her husband's strong arms.

"Come on, you're next," Nathan says, pulling me towards the fence.