Chapter 11 | No Magic, No Problem

Start from the beginning

"To Erigon Square, Your Highness. This year, the academy's council added it to the few pre-selected places students of Blaire are allowed to go without using the bronze portal."

Holly threw the pebble on the wall and it shattered into pieces. Cracks appeared on that part of the wall until it crumbled, revealing a bright swirling vortex. "Let's go, Your Highness?"

Clara reached out for Holly's hand and beamed a comfortable smile. "Anneliese. Just call me Anneliese."

And together, they stepped into the light that would take them to a place that would let her forget tomorrow's worries for a while.

A column of light consumed them. Clara was ice-cold and could see nothing. A shuddering wave of vertigo overtook her.

Then: the smallest flash of light.

"Wow."

If Rovenshire was a picture of everyday life and festivities, then Erigon Square was a picture of exotic and exquisite finds—from the shops to its people.

"Charming, isn't it?" Holly's proud voice made it sound like she was presenting a wonderful piece of art.

"Yes, but charming doesn't do it justice, Holly. It's splendid! Are you from here? You sound like a proud child."

Holly's heartful laugh was a sound to the ear, and a mesmerizing glitter blinked in her eyes.

"I am, Your Highness. A proud child of my birthplace. I'm not exactly from here. It's the next town. But generally, Caelholme is my home. Let's go to this famous shop. There's a friend that I think you would love to meet."

Clara just nodded and together, they mixed in with the crowd.

In the early morning sun, the square bustled with activity. A stately woman with deep blue skin and tusks was dragging a kicking toddler with impish horns past a magical toy store.

Beyond that, a pair of men with pointed elvish ears and webbed hands debated over a beaded bracelet at a stall named Charms.

"Is that vendor selling heads?" Clara gestured at a nearby stall where a handful of shriveled man's heads hang from the eaves.

Holly grabbed her arm and started leading her away hurriedly. "Yes, and from what I heard, those are real heads. That business has been going on for years and they insist they have permission from the royal capital of Notus. I don't know what those big shots in the royal court are doing, but those are certainly not molded clays or sculptures."

Clara gulped as the vendor's black-slitted eyes met with hers and it was the kind of look that wasn't fond of the word friendliness. So, she leashed her curiosity and decided to take in the fresh sight around them.

Cozy buildings were evenly spread out. Those alleyways were shielded with stores but one handshake door to door.

They stopped abruptly in front of a shop labeled Wooden It Be Nice. The sign in the window read: Your one-stop shop for one-stop shopping.

"So, this friend of yours mostly sells stuff made from wood?" Clara studied the wooden placard fixed in a plant box.

"No, not entirely. You'll find a lot of good finds inside. And if you're wondering about the store's name, Neith is a wood nymph. Let's get inside, Your Highness. See if you'll find something to your liking."

Holly pushed open the window door and it didn't even make a creaking sound. The bell chimed, signaling their arrival at the store.

Inside, every square inch of the shop was packed with clothes, knick-knacks, and all manner of glowing, spinning, and rattling mystical objects.