PLAN x OF x ATTACK

Start from the beginning

"No offense, but magic tricks are the least of my concerns right now." I huffed in annoyance, refusing to show him that I was even the slightest bit impressed. "What are you giving me this for?"

"Why, he's your first opponent, of course!" The clown exclaimed in delight. "With your abilities, he should be relatively easy to finish off."

"I'm not sure if I'm following..."

"Well, let me explain." He flipped over the two other cards on the table. "These three - Riehlvelt, Gido and Sadaso - are notoriously known for challenging newcomers on the 200th floor. Essentially, these lowlifes pressure new arrivals, generally those who are unfamiliar with Nen, to fight them. And that's how they rack up their wins, by preying on the weak. Pathetic, I know."

"You're saying I should seek them out? And challenge them instead?"

"Close, but not quite. Rather, you should let them come to you." He suggested. "Seeking them out will let them know that you are thoroughly prepared, then they might not agree to fight you. They are cowards, after all."

So this was Hisoka's plan. Assuming he was right, I would have three easy wins under my belt within the next few weeks. Three steps closer to my goal. And then only seven to go, until the chance of revenge would be in my hands.

"What do you suggest?" I turned to him with a newfound seriousness. Perhaps I did want his help.

"Let them find you." He smiled, standing up. Heading to the door, he beckoned me to follow him and pushed me gently back into the corridor. "Off you go, Sweetheart."

I spun around, quickly stopping the door before he could close it. "You're not coming with me?"

Hisoka shook his head. "Wouldn't want to frighten the rats, would I?"

I regarded him again, from the laughable outfit that contrasted against his nuscular build to the creepy smile plastered on his face. He was indeed quite frightful. And I wouldn't want to rely on him completely. Although he has helped me several times already, I couldn't bring myself to fully trust him. He was too unpredictable.

"Come to me again after you've signed up." He said as I headed down the hallway.

Who knew what he was planning?

Hisoka ~

I glanced anxiously at the clock again. It was almost midnight. What was taking Kira so long? The deadline was twelve o'clock and she was more aware of it than anyone. She must've signed on already. Unless...

Unless those cowardly rats gave her trouble. Could they have planned to injure her before their fight? Or did they demand something unreasonable of her? I felt an unusual surge of anger rush through me and quickly suppressed it. These were all but irrational thoughts. Kira was strong. She could handle it herself.

Otherwise, she'd be no match for me. And all that I've done to keep her around would have been a terrible waste.

I sat down at the table again, pouring myself another glass of red wine. I leaned back on my chair, taking a sip of the bittersweet liquid. Drinking alone was just just depressing. If only Kira would drink with me, but I doubt it'd happen. At least, not anytime soon. I still couldn't quite understand why she didn't trust me, especially after all that I've done for her. Besides, she should have already known that had I wished to kill her, she would already be dead.

True, I was using Kira for my own benefits, but the same could be said about her. How desperate she must've been, to trust a man as treacherous as I was. No, rather, it was a dangerous combination of desperation and determination.