Chapter 6 | "boring is good"

Start from the beginning

he shivered, squeezing his eyes shut. Miyeon didn't respond, giving him a moment to compose himself. She watched as he let out a deep breath before continuing.

"I've never seen blood like that before. I've never seen anyone killed before. I just... can't believe people died because of us. and that if those people hadn't died... then we might've died instead. I didn't know the outside world was so...scary." he said quietly, looking at her with big, fear-filled eyes.

"The outside world can be a scary place, but it isn't all bad. Your people do love you guys. A lot. Power is a strange thing, it messes with good people and makes them bad. Once someone decides that's what they want, they'll do anything to get it." she said softly, allowing Jisung to play with her fingers as she spoke.

Renjun watched with a small smile, his eyes full of wonder as he watched Miyeon with his brother. He was especially protective over Jisung, but he wouldn't have been able to do what Miyeon was doing, and he felt his heart swell as they talked.

"People see you boys as a way to get power, it's nothing against any of you individually." she let out a sigh. "I can't promise that it won't happen again. There will always be bad people out there who want your crowns, and now that Crown Prince Mark is of age, all of you will have to interact with the public more."

She felt Jisung's hands start to tremble as he tried to distract himself by continuing to fidget with her fingers.

"But" she added before he could panic. "we're all here to protect you. Jeno, Jaemin, Chenle, and I, that's what we're here for. I know it might've been too close of a call at the parade, but I can promise you that we won't let it happen again." she smiled as she saw his shoulders relax and he met her eyes with a smile.

"do you trust me?"

she watched as the smile on his face grew and he nodded at her.

"Then I swear on my life that I will protect you and your brothers. As long as I'm here, nothing will happen to you, okay?"

"okay."

"And don't loose sight of all the good in your kingdom. Up until that incident, weren't you having fun? seeing the people, hearing them cheer for you, finally stepping into the sun?" she asked, her tone much lighter now.

he nodded again.

"good. focus on those too. don't let one bad instance ruin your whole perspective on things."

"you know, Miyeon, it's funny. You're my age, right? I feel like I'm a little kid compared to you." he laughed out, Miyeon and Renjun joining in.

"we've lived very different lives. I assure you that when it comes to any sort of diplomacy or palace affairs, I'll be lost compared to you."

The three of them laughed and continued talking on the floor of the training room, the atmosphere much lighter as Jisung felt at ease.

- - -

"How is it that you're so easy to talk to?" Renjun said as they walked back towards their rooms that evening."I mean, you're so good at acting cold and unemotionless when you're on duty, plus you're a total badass fighter. How is it possible that you also have a soft side?"

Miyeon let out a slight chuckle at his words, shaking her head.

"My mother. She always said to separate my head from my heart. Training and duty were one thing, but the person on the inside is another. She helped make sure I could still stay in touch with both." Miyeon replied with a small smile.

"Well, I'll have to meet her some day. Figure out how she raised such a talented daughter." Renjun said playfully nudging her shoulder.

"I wish you could. She died when I was 12. That's why my grandfather took over my training and its been harder to escape from the trained persona I have, but I can still do it when necessary."

"Oh Miyeon, I'm so sorry... I had no idea." he replied, stunned by her response.

"It's not your fault. No one knew."

"Who was your mother, if I may ask. You make it sound like she was the one who was training you."

"She was." Miyeon let out a sigh, pausing for a moment. "My mother was the White Wolf."

Renjun's eyes widened as he came to a stop in the middle of the hallway, turning to face her.

"The White Wolf? As in..."

"As in the war hero, yes." Miyeon finished, briefly meeting his eyes before they continued walking. "My grandfather trained her to be a member of the palace guard but late King Huang saw a different potential in her and sent her to the front lines. No one except those two knew who she was, or that she was a woman at all. She died of an illness when I was a child."

"Wow... that's a lot."

"It's alright, she lived a good life. and now it's my job to continue on with her legacy, it's why I trained so hard. I don't want to let her down." She replied with a determined smile.

"You know Miyeon, you're a lot more interesting that you come off as, i thought you'd be really boring at first, but I have a feeling I've only scratched the surface of who you really are."

"Being boring is good. Being boring is being non-threatening and being non-threatening means I'm not a target." she replied with a light tone.

"And who's target might you be?" he asked curiously.

"you never know. Enemies, servants, jealous guards," she shrugged. "petty princesses." the two of them let out a chuckle. "I'm sure you know all about that."

"You have no idea." He laughed out, shaking his head. "I don't know how my father expects me to marry one of those snobby girls."

"not all princesses are bad, and I hope you marry a good one. I'll be guarding you until I retire, and that includes your family and I would prefer not to wait on a brat." she replied, her eyes sparkling with amusement as they reached their doors.

"You know, I'm glad you're here. I can tell that we'll be friends for a long time."

she looked up and met his gaze, the golden flecks in her eyes sparkling. Once again, Renjun felt a heat in his body that brought an unconscious smile to his face every time their eyes met. It was strange, but addicting.

"Well, it certainly will be nice to have a friend in the palace. Goodnight, your highness."

"Goodnight, Miyeon."