Chapter 11: Pi Delta Psi

TW

I don't care whether she wants me to go or not, I am my own woman! I can make decisions for myself. That woman doesn't control me. I'm going!

I turned my phone on silent and placed it on the floor beside me, face down, so that her texts would cease to distract me. I mean, yes, I do care about her. Honestly, I do, and it wouldn't be very characteristic of me to use this party as a way of getting back at her by sleeping with someone else. I don't dream of doing anything of the sort with anyone but her. But after the way that she acted today, ignoring me and whatnot, I do feel like messing with her a little. Just a little. I sat and pondered over the many things I could do whilst I glazed my lips in a thin coat of gloss and moved over to the wardrobe to pick out a pair of heels. My thoughts, however, were interrupted shortly after when Wanda and Carol strolled in; all dressed up and ready to go. "What do you think?" Wanda queried in reference to her dress. She spun in a circle to display the full thing before stopping to face me again with a wholesome grin on her face. "Look at you hot stuff." I hyped. "All that for Steve? He's a lucky man." She edged forward, chuckling at the remark. "Why does it have to be for Steve?" "Oh you're right, my bad. Independent woman and whatnot. Doing it for yourself. Got it." I jested, picking up a pair of heels and slipping them on. "Ready to go?" Carol called from the door where she was standing. We both nodded and gathered the last of our things from around the room. Carol was the only one taking a bag with her so we all put our phones, cash and ID's in her purse before heading out.

As we were walking along the street towards the house, we knew we were getting close considering we could see a faded glow of coloured lights flickering in the distance. The cold night air was polluted with cheering, chanting and singing mixed with the strong smell of alcohol. The ground seemed to thump and vibrate beneath us and I'd say if it were any more aggressive we would probably have risked losing our balance. This was our first major party since joining NYU and Pi Delta Psi in particular had quite the reputation so I've heard. Some crazy shit always goes down and people kill just to be invited to one of their parties. They've set cars on fire, filled entire pools with beer, created a pretty sketchy slip and slide off of their roof, and I even heard that celebrities sometimes show up. As cool and crazy as this all sounds, people say that it's their way of distracting their guests whilst the members get up to some shady stuff. Though, excuse my ignorance, but I don't think it can be that bad if people are willing to overlook it for a dumb zip-line or whatever. Besides, I wasn't worried. The three of us were going to look out for each other, making sure nothing bad happened.

When we made it to the door, we immediately bumped into the dude who invited us from our law class. I'm pretty sure his name was Levi and he was a pretty big character to say the least. Your average jock. He was captain of the NYU baseball team and I have to say, a pretty good student too. He was fairly tall, around 6ft 3 or 4 maybe. He towered over us at least. Curly brunette hair, pretty muscular, and always seemed to wear shorts... even in winter. Men. I'll never understand. He looked pretty excited to see us to say the least. "Hey! You guys made it! I didn't think you guys would show." He hugged both Carol and I and then turned to Wanda. "And you must be Wanda. I've heard all about you." She just smiled shyly and looked down at her feet. "You would be correct." she muttered but I doubt that he heard her over the loud music blasting from inside the house. "Let me just stamp you guys and you can head straight in." Judging by that I'm guessing he was on 'door duty' for tonight. Frats always did that to freshmen members. Give them the puny jobs so that they would have to work their way up. He stamped all of our hands, doing mine last when he switched stampers. I noticed that Carol and Wanda's stamps were black and mine was red. Huh? "Hey, why is mine a different colour?" I asked him, looking up at him from my hand with confusion written all over my face. "Chill. The other one ran out of ink." I just shrugged and we headed inside.