Chapter 40

Chapter 40:

Ryder's POV:

"ID." The guard said at the gates. I grabbed my wallet next to me and pulled out my license. His eyes gazed from my license to my face and he gave me a cold look.

"Go on in. Lord Carver is waiting you." He said handing me back my card. I rolled the window back up and continued driving.

"Think it will go well?" Andrew asked.

"Carver knows us. He will never cross me." I said. We pulled up to the palace and got out. I walked up to the front steps and the large doors were opened for us. I stepped inside following the dark red rug to the throne room where Carver sat with his wife Elena.

"Ryder!" He said happily. He walked down the steps and grabbed my hand pulling me into a hug, he let go and then saw Andrew.

"Andy too?" He asked surprised doing the same thing. The on goers in the room looked on with caution and disgust.

"Alpha Ryder, Beta Andrew. It is a pleasure to see you both again. I trust you are doing well?" Elena asked as she held her hand. I took it lightly and kissed the top as did Andrew. Vampires were hugely involved in tradition.

"Elena, as beautiful as ever." I smiled. She sat back down and Carver turned.

"So what's up with you and the Snow elves?" He asked curiously.

"I'm finding numerous dead bodies on our land. We were wondering if you knew what was going on." I stated.

"Why? Because we had our feud with them?" He laughed although it wasn't a 'ha ha' laugh.

"Of course not, Carver. I am just asking if you knew anything. Demons will not speak to us and witches don't rip insides out."

"I have an idea on who it might be. But I am not sure." He said sighing heavily. I waited patiently for him to continue.

"We are having issues with turned vampires. Purebloods are controlling their urges and are obeying rules. However, more vampires are being turned and they are not obeying the rules."

"Who is changing them?" I asked.

"You know how vampires are. The sluts that go to clubs they can find humans and change them. They don't train them and then these new bloods run off and cause issues like this."

"So how do we stop them?" Andrew asked.

"I am setting up guards in my clubs. Turning now results in a death penalty. Other then that I have scouts tracking them but Snow elves are everywhere. It would be easier to contain them and give them their own land with their own wards."He said. I nodded agreeing.

"Alright. Thank you for meeting with me Carver. I appreciate this." I said shaking his hand.

"Out of curiosity. Why are you so worried about these elves? I can't imagine anymore are left." I pulled out my phone and opened a picture of Ella.

"That's my daughter. She is six and her name is Ella. She is a full Snow elf." I said proudly and he smiled.

"She is gorgeous. Taking care of her all by yourself, eh?" He smiled.

"No. Surprisingly." I said finding a picture of Jaxon.

"You have a wife?" He asked surprised.

"We are not married yet." I said.

"How come you didn't bring her?"

"She is pregnant, with our next four children." I said proudly. His eyes popped out of his head. Vampires on the other hand have horrible reproductive genes. As we can have quads when trying once, vampires can barely conceive one child in five tries.

"That is our son. Jaxon." I said showing him.

"Well show me a picture of the lucky lady that finally got your attention." He laughed. It was just like back in school. I found a picture of Brooklyn and showed him.

"Wow, she is gorgeous." He said surprised. Elena walked over.

"She's beautiful, Ryder." She said and I smiled.

"Yea. She is upset for being at home right now." I laughed.

"It's just like old times. I actually missed you idiots." He laughed putting his hand on Andrew and I's shoulders.

As I was about to say our goodbyes an arrow was struck in the centre of Carver's forehead. The smile faded and his eyes rolled back as he fell to the floor.

"Carver!" Elena screeched dropping to her knees. The arrow sizzled because of the silver and Andrew and I dropped down to avoid being hit. Guards moved around looking full the culprit as I gently lifted Carver.

"Silver arrow." I murmured.

"There is no saving him. That is brain damage now. Even vampire genes can't heal that." Andrew said. As I looked on in sadness I felt a sharp pain in my back. I fell back onto my legs and grimaced.

"Uh... Ryder?" Andrew asked. I breathed heavily and stared at him.

"What?" I asked.

"I don't know how you didn't feel this but there is about three silver arrows in your back right now." He said. I stared at him dazed when I felt another prick and my back scrunched up.

"Make that four." He said grabbing my shoulders as I fell over unconscious.