Chapter 17: Like Family

Over dinner, everyone slowly started to relax around each other. Tears had dried and the fact that Yi Jeong was a complete new person, to get to know, was sinking in.

"I think I should say something like, wow, you got so big! But that's weird because now we're almost the same age, right?" Yi Jeong asked Su Ho, who laughed awkwardly. "Yeah but that's cool, too! My nose stopped running, so you might be less annoyed. Please don't ask about my graduation."

Yi Jeong looked at Shin Ju and Yu Ri, who both started to study their food intensely, pretending they heard nothing.
"What.. So I'm gone and you can't get my dog a proper education?"

"It's not like he needs one.." Yu Ri mumbled and Shin Ju added: "He works at my animal clinic! It was hard to find something for him because 'as strong as Uncle' wasn't a major at the University."

"But I'm doing martial arts! I'm really good! Not as strong as you but... I can take care of myself! Like you taught me!" Su Ho said proudly.

"Hey, that's what you told me, right? When I fell from the bicycle..." Yi Jeong said and looked over to Yeon, who nodded with a soft smile.

"Woo Bin is into martial arts, too! Maybe you can train together some time?"

Woo Bin looked up from his noodles and nodded. "Sure! We humans got to stick together, right?" he grinned, but Yi Jeong poked him with his elbow.

"What? It is what it is." he said, but the words of the woman echoed in his head immediately.
He didn't want to be part of the dying side of the family.. He wanted to be as strong as Yi Jeong..
Live as long as he was supposed to.

The woman said he never wanted to be a Gumiho again.. He never wanted to be reborn at all.. If he was a reborn Gumiho, he would wake up just as Yeon and Yi Jeong, right? He was a human, because he never wanted to be a Gumiho again.. He wouldn't wake up. He was just human.. But to know if this was all true and how it made sense, he had to take a look at his past life. If she was telling the truth...

"Woo Bin-Nim!"

Woo Bin looked up. It was Yu Ri who called him.

"What are you doing for a living?" she asked curiously and he swallowed down his bite.

"Ah.. I'm a writer." he said as a matter of fact and felt slightly uncomfortable with everyone suddenly looking at him.

"Woo Bin writes Horror Novels, but he has a pen name because he hates attention.. If it's not mine." Yi Jeong smiled and gave Woo Bin a peck on the cheek.

"Basically, yes.." Woo Bin felt his face heat up, but gave his boyfriend a little smile.

"Come on... tell them at least your most successful one! They're family, they won't tell."

"I don't think anyone here has heard of Stranger in the Dark.." Woo Bin mumbled back.

"Wait..." Shin Ju said and was suddenly on high alert.

"Oh my god.." Yu Ri mumbled, because she felt another embarrassing moment coming.

"S.U.B. That's you! Song Woo Bin! Are you S.U.B.???"

"I told you, just using your first letters is a lame idea.." Yi Jeong mentioned and sipped his tea.

"YOU WROTE STRANGER IN THE DARK?" Shin Ju yelled and rushed out of the room, not even caring that his chair fell over with some uncomfortable noise.

"I think you just made someone very happy.." Su Ho smiled and Shin Ju stumbled back with a pile of books in his hands.

"Woo Bin-Nim! Please... would you please.... sign my books?"