Chapter 20 - Varia Arc Part II

Writer - xxkangax

There are thoughts indicated in ITALICS and BOLD.

🌙🌙🌙🌙

At Kokuyo land, the two females sat down on the steps in a familiar room where Mukuro used to spend most of his time

"Why did we come to this room? There are multiple other rooms that have space for training as well." Chrome asked.

"Well, before Mukuro was captured, he stayed in this room the most. Which also means that his presence is stronger here than the other rooms. Since I'm not an expert in illusions, you may need a stronger connection to Mukuro for your training." Mitsuyo explained to her.

Chrome nodded to show that she understood. She then took out the Mist ring from her pocket and stared at it.

"Chrome-chan, that is the Vongola Mist Guardian's Ring. It was initially planned by Iemitsu that Mukuro was to be the guardian. But due to the current circumstances, it has been given to you. With the ring in your possession, you have been deemed worthy of protecting the next Vongola Boss. But if you aren't comfortable with it, I can take that away now. The choice is up to you."

Hearing that, Chrome stared at the ring in deep thought. I want to help Mukuro-sama. The one that gave me a new life. I want to give back to Mitsuyo's family for taking me in. If this is how I can pay them back, I want to help them!

Deciding that, she looked to Mitsuyo and affirmed her decision, "I will do it. I want to do it."

With that, Mitsuyo smiled back and nodded. She then told her the training plans she had for Chrome. They will first start on improving Chrome's stamina and teach her some basic self-defenses. Once that is completed, she will attempt to somehow connect Mukuro with Chrome so that he can tutor her on illusion casting.

"Alright, phase one," Mitsuyo got up and dusted herself, before readying herself. "As you probably can tell, there are debris around the room. I will be using my powers to toss small debris rocks at you and you will have to either dodge or hit them away. The goal is not to get hit by the rocks. We'll increase the difficulty along the way."

"Let's start with 10 first, at a slow pace. If you can consecutively dodge or hit them, then we'll increase the difficulty and move on slowly to 50 and a faster pace. If you can clear that, we can move on."

Chrome got up and took out her staff, readying herself for the training. Seeing that she was ready, Mitsuyo started using her powers to flick small debris towards Chrome, who was trying to dodge them or hit them away.

Since Chrome had not been in combat before, she initially struggled to dodge them. Whenever a rock flew to her, there would be a short delay before she acted. Her delay in reaction time was the cause of why she couldn't dodge the rocks well.

Also, since she had no prior weapon training, nor had she played in sports, it caused her hand-eye coordination to be slightly off, also making it a struggle to time her hits correctly.

By the end of the day, Chrome was barely able to hit away all 10 rocks. She was clearly out of breath and exhausted. Mitsuyo saw that and decided to end training for the day. They then made their way home, where they had dinner, washed up and headed to bed.

Mitsuyo then updated Reborn on her progress with Chrome and he reminded her not to over-stress herself. She smiled at his concern, before lying down in her bed and allowing Reborn to tuck her in.

The next day, they tried again, with Mitsuyo speeding up slightly. Chrome was steadily improving in her reaction time and managed to dodge and hit more of the rocks. Eventually she successfully avoided 10 rocks.

Seeing that she was exhausted by the amount of energy she put in, Mitsuyo then told her they would be taking a break. They headed outside the building to sit below the trees, enjoying the natural breeze and quietness of their surroundings. She took out mama's packed bento for them and they started munching away.

After her well deserved break, they continued. Now Chrome had to dodge or hit 20 rocks that were varying in speed. The speed cap was gradually increased as Chrome managed to avoid more and more of the rocks.

As time passed, Mitsuyo observed that Chrome's hits have been getting much more accurate and she was almost able to time the hits well. Her reaction time had also improved much more.

However, her stamina and endurance were low. Every round they did, once they hit the 15th rock, Chrome's movements would slow down. As each round progressed, Chrome's movements were slowing down much faster.

Not wanting to end up hurting her severely, she decided to call it a day. Allowing Chrome to rest for a while before they started heading home.

Back home, once the two females had finished dinner, Mitsuyo followed Chrome into her room, seeing that Reborn hadn't returned yet.

"Chrome-chan, tomorrow we'll be taking a break from the physical exercises. We should let your body rest." Mitsuyo spoke up as they both sat on Chrome's bed.

Hearing that, Chrome panicked. Why do we need to stop? Am I doing badly in my training? I can't stop! If I want to be strong enough to protect them, I need to keep on training! Chrome thought. She was about to tell Mitsuyo that she could continue training when Mitsuyo spoke up again.

"You're not doing badly Chrome. You're actually improving faster than I thought. But your body can't catch up that fast so we're giving your body a break tomorrow. Instead of physical training, we'll be trying to connect to Mukuro."

Chrome nodded her head. She was glad that her training was going well and that she was improving. She was determined, she didn't want to be a burden on them.

Mitsuyo saw her determination in her eyes. She stood up and patted Chrome's head, "Don't think too much. Have more confidence in yourself. Get some rest for tonight, you can also sleep in tomorrow, there's no rush." And with that, Mitsuyo left the room, allowing her to rest for the night.

________________________________________________________________________________

Written on - 4/8/21