Chapter 8

Nick's POV

I woke up next morning alone on the couch noticing that Shay was gone. I placed my pants back on and make my way back to the kitchen I found her leaning on the counter waiting for the pancakes to bake. I went behind and wrap my arms around her, she jolted.

"Oh my God Nick you scared me," she laughed. She turned herself around and placed her hands on my bare arms. "I got you something," she whispered to me. I flipped the pancakes as she made her way to the fridge. Once she got there she opened it up and brought out a small pink cupcake on a plate. I laughed out loud as she set it on the counter next to me. "It's sugar-free but just as sweet as you," she smirked. I caressed her face and pulled her in for a kiss. She pressed her body against mine and accidentally placed my hand on the burner.

"Ouch!" I screamed quickly removing it. She panicked and race to the fridge to get me some ice. She wrapped it in a washcloth and placed it upon my burning hand. She quickly turned off the stove as I stared down at my blistering palm.

"Nick, I am so sorry," she pleaded with her voice full of regret. I took my other arm and pulled her in tight.

"It's not your fault sweetheart." As I said that the pain in my hand grew more. It hurts so bad that my eyes are about ready to let lose some tears.

"Let me take a look," she offered as she took off the ice. Her face changed in utter terror as a huge layer of skin is missing. She quickly ran to go grab some burn reliever I assumed. So I made my way back to the couch as Joe entered through our front door.

"Well hey there neighbor! What's cooking?" He asked taking a seat on the couch next to mine.

"Apparently my hand," I sarcastically told him. He gave me a look then noticed my missing piece of skin.

Shay quickly entered the room ignoring Joe and took a seat next to me. She took ahold of my hand and placed the cloth that was soaked up in the burn reliever. I yelped loudly in pain as I heard Joe's chuckling.

"Joe, I swear to God that if I have to do this to you then I'll be using lemon juice. So please just shut up," she snapped at him. He suddenly became really quite and I smiled to myself. Boy does she have a way with words and telling people off. One of the many things that I love about her. She can be as sweet as she wants, but piss her off and she can easily turn sour.

After she wrapped my hand up, she brought Joe and I a plate of pancakes. She grabbed herself a plate and took a seat next to me.

"When I left, why couldn't you say anything?" She asked sincerely. I haven't given it much thought. I guess it was the shock of it all. It was much like her when I begged her on the phone to come back to me the night she told me about her prior engagement to Ryan.

Flashback

I had found myself alone in a back ally outside of my apartment. Four empty beer bottles were next to me as my fifth stayed in my hand.

She's getting married? She's really getting married to someone else? After all I had done to try and get her to come back? She's just going to leave me in the dust?

I gripped the piece of paper that held her new number tightly in my hand. I took my phone out of my back pocket and tried to dial it. The light blinded me and my fingers kept pushing the wrong numbers. Once I finally type it in correctly, I touched the call icon. I took a swig of beer as I waited for her to answer.

"Hello?" She asked. Her voice was so sweet and beautiful that it caught me off guard. I took another swig then prepared myself for my speech.

"Ho..ow can you you doing th..is to m..me?" My words slurred as I began to pour my heart out. "Don..'t yo..you know how much I..I love you? I am lit..literally nothin' without..yo..ou. Plea..se come backth w..with me.." A lot more was said but my now stable mind couldn't remember. All I remember was afterwards hearing her soft breathe through the phone as I waited for her to say something. But she said nothing.

End of flashback

"Remember the night I called drunk and you couldn't say anything?" She nodded her head. "So you now know the answer." I reached into my wallet and pulled out some sheet music. I handed it to Joe. "Could you play this for me on my guitar?" I asked sitting back down. He nodded his head and grabbed it from a rack against the wall by the tv.

"Am I better off dead?
Am I better off a quitter?
They say I'm better off now
Than I ever was with her
As they take me to my local down the street
I'm smiling but I'm dying trying not to drag my feet

They say a few drinks will help me to forget her
But after one too many I know that I'll never
Only they can't see where this is gonna end
They all think I'm crazy but to me it's perfect sense

And my mates are all there trying to calm me down
'Cause I'm shouting your name all over town
I'm swearing if I go there now
I can change her mind, turn it all around

And I know that I'm drunk but I'll say the words
And she'll listen this time even though they're slurred
So I, dialed her number and confessed to her
I'm still in love but all I heard
Was nothing

So I stumble there, along the railings and the fences
I know if we're face to face then she'll come to her senses
Every drunk step I take leads me to her door
If she sees how much I'm hurting, she'll take me back for sure

And my mates are all there trying to calm me down
'Cause I'm shouting your name all over town
I'm swearing if I go there now
I can change her mind, turn it all around

And I know that I'm drunk but I'll say the words
And she'll listen this time even though they're slurred
So I, dialed her number and confessed to her
I'm still in love but all I heard
Was nothing

She said nothing
Oh, I wanted words but all I heard was nothing
Oh, I got nothing
I got nothing
Oh, I wanted words but all I heard was nothing

Ohh, sometimes love's intoxicating
Ohh, you're coming down, your hands are shaking
When you realize there's no one waiting

Am I better off dead?
Am I better off a quitter?
They say I'm better off now
Than I ever was with her

And my mates are all there trying to calm me down
'Cause I'm shouting your name all over town
I'm swearing if I go there now
I can change her mind, turn it all around

And I know that I'm drunk but I'll say the words
And she'll listen this time even though they're slurred
So I, dialed her number and confessed to her
I'm still in love but all I heard
Was nothing

She said nothing
Oh, I wanted words but all I heard was nothing
Oh, I got nothing
I got nothing
Oh, I wanted words but all I heard was nothing
Oh, I got nothing

I got nothing"

Song: Nothing by, The Script

Please comment your thoughts & don't forget to vote. I love you guys!