I started to rise up out of my seat just as Beatrice decided to bring me my tea. She shot me her smile, “Here’s the tea you ordered.” I bit my lip not wanting to be that customer but I couldn’t risk it staying any longer. “You know what I actually just realized that I—uh—have to go?” Wow, you’re so smooth Scarlett. Award winning material right there. Beatrice’s smile never wavered, “Oh, don’t be silly. If it’s a money thing don’t worry about it. It’s on the house.” She gives me a friendly wink as she sets the cup down in front of me. Great! She thought I was some pauper or something. I tried not to roll my eyes as I readjusted in my booth knowing I couldn’t leave now it would seem odd. 

“Thanks.” I say solemnly. Damn you Beatrice!

“No problem!” She smiled brightly before she turned and walked toward the large booth. 

I stared down into my tea secretly wishing that the ground would open up and swallow me whole. It would solve all of my problems. My wolf began to stir in me anxiously and I knew that I couldn’t hold this for long if they hadn’t already sensed there was something off about me. The door chimed and I looked up toward the door to see a younger guy coming through. His eyes roamed the room and our gazes met. I saw his eyes widen in surprise and I felt my stomach drop, he knows. 

A charming smile spread over his lips as he causally strolled toward my table ignoring his friends who I am sure were the ones sitting behind me. I tried to keep my face impassive as he eased himself down into the seat across from me. His friends started making noises and comments at his behavior. They obviously didn’t realize what he had about me. 

He wasn’t a bad looking guy. His brown hair was buzzed a little on the shorter side and his eyes were dark chocolate brown. The only problem was he was looking at me while wearing a smug smirk, “I didn't know we had anyone coming through today. Noah never mentioned anything to me—I’m Dane.” He introduced himself like I should be pleased to be meeting him. I kept my face impassive before I pushed myself up from the table, “Well I’d like to say it was a pleasure Dane—“ I comment before making a go towards the door needing to escape. 

He reached out and grabbed my wrist in his strong grip, “Where are you running off to so quickly? Afraid we might bite?” He wiggles his eyebrows playfully. I tried my hardest not to gag at him. I pulled my arm free from his hold, “No, but perhaps you should be afraid that I might.” I comment at him dryly. Amusement ran through his eyes as he pushed himself up to stand in front of me. I swallowed hard when I realized exactly how much bigger he was than me. I regretted sassing him immediately. 

“Ryan!” He called out never taking his eyes off of me, “Did Noah say anything to you about the fact that we had a visitor coming through today cause he seemed to forget to mention it to me.” He comments. I feel my heart rate skyrocket. Oh no! No, no, no! I could feel my panic and my wolfs panic rising at the situation that I was now in. The diner seemed to become incredibly still and silent, much to still and silent for my liking. The amusement on Dane’s face began to fade and I knew they must be mind-linking with him explaining that I wasn’t supposed to be here. Time to get the hell out of here Scarlett. 

“Well like I said—it was such a pleasure Dane.” I turn and make a quick break for the door. I mean I didn’t even try to hide the fact that I was running. I wasn’t the strongest fighter pack but I was damn sure one of the fastest. My heart was thundering in my chest as my feet hit the pavement outside. I just needed to get to my car and just hit the gas until I was off their territory and then I would be safe. When I rounded the last black car I came to a quick halt. There was a very large man standing there leisurely leaning against the car as if he hadn’t a care in the world. He nailed me with a pair of bright blue eyes that had my wolf pulling right towards the surface. I felt my body begin to tremble and my chest tightened as If I couldn’t seem to catch my breath. 

He pushed himself away from the car and started walking towards me slowly. I was unable to run, move, think, or breathe. It was as if he was my whole world in that moment. He was the only think I could see and the only thing keeping me planted to the ground. 

I’ve felt this feeling before—when was that? This feeling is so familiar. 

“Hello—“ The voice that comes out of this man makes me want to shout ‘there is a god’, “Mate…” The word has me crashing back down into reality so fast I’m pretty sure I got whiplash. I blink once. Twice. Three times. 

“What?” Is the only coherent thought I could muster. 

“Are you deaf? As well as stupid?” He didn’t seem too pleased.

I on the other hand let out a choked laugh still stuck on his earlier comment to mind his balant insults, “I hope you mean 'mate' in some weird british slang type of way, like 'ello mate'.” 

“I’m american.” He says dryly. 

“Oh god…” My body grew weak and then I fainted.