Prologue

SHERLOCK POV

I played my violin, finishing sonata no. 1 by Bach "Hmm... Was that final 'G', flat? I think so. Shut up! No! Not you, Mrs. Hudson!" I was talking to the noise. The noise that has followed me for a while now. Three years and seventy-eight days if I remember correctly, which I do. It'd be pitiful if I didn't. I'd be too ordinary, just like everyone else, if I hadn't. there was beeping in my ear, there had been for days, but I had other things to worry about. This day though, it seemed louder, I couldn't distract myself from it.

I thought I heard someone say a name that I recognized, it was possibly John talking about another case. I turned around, but no one was there. My eyes suddenly felt very heavy, and everything went black. Someone was repeating that name, over and over. The never ceasing beeping got louder and louder. That name. Where had I heard it before? I remember it all too well. What is it? Who is 'Benedict'? Benedict. You're my next case,  I guess.

"Benedict"

MARTIN POV

It looked like Benedict, who had been in a coma for years, was finally going to wake up. His heart rate was going up, and I swear I saw his eyes move. "Benedict?" His heart rate increased again, and he moved his hand a little. This was the most progress we had ever had with him, we had thought we would have had to pull the plug on him. "Benedict!" He finally opened his eyes. I had waited for this to happen for months, years. "John?"
"Who's John? I'm Martin, your doctor. Dr. Martin Freeman. You have been my top priority and patient for the past few years."
"What are you talking about John? We have lived together for years, been on cases together." "You've been in a coma for 9 years, Benedict. You've only just woken up."
"I'm a consulting detective, John. Is this your idea of a joke? You know I'm not good with jokes."
"You were a small-time actor before you went into a coma. I have no idea what a consulting detective is."

There was silence for a while.

I had never come across this kind of case before. It looked like he had completely made up a new life for himself whilst he was in the coma. I had no idea this would happen when I read him those detective stories.