Chapter Four

It wasn't long before Bucky had graduated and soon after Steve and Ophelia. For Bucky's graduation, his parents planned a dinner for him and invited his two friends. The night was as wonderful as ever, with the three having the utmost fun. When it came to Steve and Ophelia's graduation, their mothers planned a big dinner at Claire's house. Ophelia's mother cooked a big dinner and as always, the three had nothing but fun.

Bucky had decided to stay in Brooklyn, in his own apartment in town as a coach at the local boxing gym. He had always been quick on his feet and the sporty type, but he didn't enjoy the classroom and school studies. Bucky was a quick learner and had no problems with grades, but he would rather be out moving about than being stuck in a classroom.

Ophelia was the complete opposite. Although she did enjoy going out and moving like walks through the park, she would have gathered stayed inside reading and learning about something new. She was always craving new books and things to discuss with people, normally to Steve or Bucky as they were the only ear who would listen.

Ophelia's mother had invited her side of the family over for a celebration dinner for her daughters' graduation. Her mother had bought her daughter a new dress that was red as the blood in her veins. She didn't enjoy wearing dresses, but she knew how much this meant to her mother so she dressed herself up. Applying the last dash of makeup on her soft skin, there was a knock at the door. Ophelia stood up and passed her mother who was busy cooking, she swung open the door and greeted her aunt and uncle, her cousin, Johnny. He was only two years old than she was. She greeted them as they followed her inside, letting them sit around the living room. A few minutes after their greetings, another knock came at the door. Ophelia looked to her mother who nodded her head for her to answer it. Slowly, but unsure of who else they were expecting, she opened it and saw Bucky standing there in a well-dressed suit and a bouquet of very colourful flowers.

"Buck? What are you doing here?" She asked as her mother approached behind her.

"Oh wonderful, you're here." Her mother Claire said rubbing the flour from her hands, in her apron. Ophelia's mother let Bucky in as she stood there confused as to why her friend was here. "I invited James so he could meet your aunt and uncle." her mother said.

Ophelia looked at Bucky and handed her the flowers. "You didn't tell me you were coming." She whispered to her friend.

"Your mother wanted it to be a surprise." He said leaning closer to her. Before she could answer, her aunt Lou stepped forward and looked to the nineteen-year-old Bucky.

"Oh my." She gasped looking him up and down. "My dear Ophelia you've got one handsome boyfriend."

"Aunt Lou, we're not together." She groaned as her cheeks grew ever so slightly red. "This is James Barnes, my friend."

"Please, call me Bucky." He said as Ophelia's Uncle Tom stood up. Bucky smiled to him and shook his hand. Ophelia's Aunt Lou pulled her towards the kitchen where he mother was preparing food, leaving Bucky with her uncle and cousin.

"My dear you never told me about James." She said smiling towards Bucky.

"Because he's my friend Aunt Lou." Ophelia said shaking her head at her aunt.

"They're not together Lou." Claire said turning her head away from the food, causing Ophelia to sigh in relief that he mother was on her side. "Not yet at least."

"Mother!" The young girl said, her mother turned around and patted her cheek.

"Dinners ready!" Her mother announced to everyone in the room.

Ophelia sat down at the dinner table with Bucky across from her. She avoided her gaze almost the whole night because of how embarrassing the whole ordeal was.

"So Ophelia," her Uncle Tom said in the middle of dinner, "what are your plans for after high school?"

Ophelia glanced at Bucky who watched her shift in her seat, "Well, I was thinking..." she looked to her mother, knowing she hadn't even had this conversation with her mother. "I want to be a teacher."

"A teacher?" Her aunt asked as her fork lightly hit her plate.

"Not a nurse?" Her mother asked. Nurses had always been in her mothers family, her Aunt Lou was a nurse, and so was her mother. Her grandmother and great grandmother were also nurses, so it was to expected that Ophelia would be a nurse as well.

"Well no," Ophelia shifted in her seat again, feeling the eyes of everyone on her. "I want to teach English, Shakespeare even." She said smiling to everyone.

"What about a family, having children?" Her Aunt said leaning forward, her eyes big as the moon.

"I'm not really, thinking about that right now." Ophelia said meekly, "I don't have plans to settle down anytime soon."

"Well, why not?" Her uncle asked taking a sip of wine from the fancy glasses her mother only took out for special occasions.

"Because I want to make something of myself. I don't need a man to tell me my worth." Ophelia said as she felt the anger bubbling up in her chest.

"James what are your plans?" Her cousin Frank asked breaking to conversation with his parents and Ophelia. Bucky looked at him for a second, as if he wasn't expecting anyone to talk to him during a conversation about Ophelia.

"I'm uh, actually working down at the boxing club." He said proudly.

"Perfect." Her Aunt Lou nodded to herself, "James is working, why don't you two get married?"

"Aunt Lou!" Ophelia said as her face turned red with anger.

"My dear," Her Aunt looked to her, "you have to get your head out of the clouds sooner or later! Things are tense overseas, you're going to need a man by your side when things get rough." Ophelia looked to her Aunt in disbelief. She stood up from the table, and threw the napkin that was on her lap onto her plate and stormed out of the apartment. The ground looked at each other before Bucky stood from the table and raced after his friend.

"Lou was that necessary?" Claire asked her sister.

"Claire, you know as much as I did that, that girl needs to wake up and see the world around her. She needs a man to call her down and see the true values of life." Lou said sternly to her younger sister.

"I just don't think she's that type of girl." Claire said looking towards the door.

"Anne! Wait!" Bucky yelled after her down the street. Ophelia walked swiftly down the street corner and to the park that was nearby. She felt Bucky's grasp on her arm as he pulled her back. Ophelia didn't even realize she was crying until she turned to face Bucky. "Hey, it's okay." He whispered pulling in for a hug. She let her tears fall as the cold air surrounding her warmed up at his touch. She gripped onto his jacket, feeling his chin rest on the top of her head.

"I'm sorry Buck." She mumbled into his chest. He smelled clean, like fresh laundry on a summers day. She lifted her head away from his chest and looked up at her friend. "I'm sorry you had to be there." She said as she tried to wipe her tears away.

Bucky looked down at his friend and pulled her closer again, holding her as she cried. She was tired, exhausted by the thought of growing up. "I wanna go." She said suddenly.

"Go where?" Bucky asked.

"Anywhere. Away from here." She said lifting her head again. Bucky looked at Ophelia.

"I'll go with you." He said softly.

"Promise?"

"I promise. Anywhere you go, I'll always follow you." Bucky said pulling her once again. His embrace warmed Ophelia all the way to her heart. She felt safe in his arms, like nothing could get to her.