4 | ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇʟʟ ᴛᴇsᴛ

Start from the beginning

So he escaped.

And now, she knew she had to do something as well.

Her best option, considering the time limit, would be to utilize her chakra control in an attack that would create an opening to take advantage of. She could seal just a small amount of chakra, maintaining it with her chakra control until the time would come.

The only problem was, the technique was an incredibly advanced technique for someone her age. Even though she was considered a prodigy in her own right, her stamina was barely enough to sustain any prolonged chakra control. She would only be able to maintain a very small amount of chakra. But if it could only make the slightest difference, even that would be sufficient.

The next step would be for her to create a plan. She could sneak up her sensei and use a substitution. Then the real her could take advantage of the opening, finally taking one of the bells for herself.

But what if— Fumiko had begun. But before she could completely flesh out her plan, her train of thought was interrupted.

"Fumiko, I know you're out there... why don't you come out?" Kushina called from a distance.

Fumiko flinched at the sound in slight alarm. She had completely forgotten about her sensei for a moment, and hadn't expected her to find her location. But she had no other choice. Fumiko crawled out from the bush she was hiding under.

Chakra control was a fairly difficult task. And because she was somewhat inexperienced in the arts, she wouldn't be able to sustain the stored chakra for much longer. The only option she could think of now was to utilize that chakra into one, swift attack. The outcome of her efforts would all depend on that one attack, otherwise, the opportunity would be wasted. Although, her chances of succeeding were slim, either way.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to try, Fumiko thought.

Fumiko channeled the chakra she had stored towards the tip of her palm, charging at Kushina head-on. As she prepared to strike, she twisted her torso, leaning forwards into a lunge with her arm outstretched in front of her body. With one swing, she struck her palm directly onto her sensei's core, piercing her chakra through the tenketsu.

But then, a cloud of smoke emerged from the point of impact, enlarging as it continued to engulf her body until her figure had dispersed into nothing but mere air.

A shadow clone.

"Nice try." Kushina swung her arm, ready to strike with her elbow in a counterattack; and this time it was the real her. With her small, fragile build, she was easily put at a disadvantage, being unable to evade the attack. Fumiko was knocked to the ground in an instant.

Fumiko lifted herself upright, and for a moment, she rested, her dominant hand clenching her chest and her knees on the ground as she struggled to catch her breath. Fumiko then remained there, eventually lifting herself upright once a few seconds had passed— and then swiftly, without making the slightest sound, leaping off into the shadows nearby. She retreated, concealing any trace of her presence as she hid herself in the shelter of a nearby bush.

━━━━━━━━━━━

The clock was ticking.

They had only a small amount of time remaining to complete the test. And considering the time limit, the genin had made little progress in retrieving the bells. Fumiko had not only wasted a considerable amount of time, but the attack had depleted her stamina as well. There was little time to waste— any prolonged course of action would only ensure the inevitable outcome of failure.

At this point, Fumiko could acknowledge that this was a nearly impossible task. Her mind wandered over the failure they had yet to face— all in an attempt to come up with a last minute plan. Or rather, it was nearly impossible for a genin to attempt individually, she thought, as she was hit with a sudden realization.