The Finding Spell

Start from the beginning

"I know," said Sev, with a shudder, and a dark look crossed his face. "I was there."

"Regulus Black," said Ron. He tapped the radio once, and it crackled to life. "Welcome to Potterwatch," came the voice of Fred Weasley over the radio.

Sev waved his wand , and a piece of paper floated across the room to Remus, who caught it in his hand. On the paper, in Sev's old fashioned copperplate, was written Oakley Snape Lupin with a question mark.

********

The next day Harry, Ron and Hermione left for a temple Kessem Shalom in high spirits, shopping list in hand. They were wearing glamours that made them look like typical Londoners, shiny shoes, dark coats. The boys wore skinny ties. Hermione, her hair charmed black and sleek, wore plum colored lipstick. They were going to pick up ingredients for a steak and kidney pie on their way home.

No one noticed the large grey rat that peered at them as they came through the wards, laughing and joking, and apparated away.

********

At Temple Kessem Shalom, Rabbi Eleazer, his crow seated on his shoulder, ushered them into the main sanctuary. He had drawn a large six pointed star on the floor, in the empty space in front of the Bima. Harry was surprised. They usually spent his lessons sequestered in the rabbi's cluttered office, learning Hebrew, studying spells from mouldering yellow scrolls, practicing mindfulness. Today something different was afoot.

The rabbi made Harry sit on the floor in the middle of the star he had drawn. Ron and Hermione slipped into one of the red velvet benches. The sanctuary was dark and echoey. The shadows in the corners seemed to whisper. Above the Bima, the eternal light flickered and waved.

"Today," announced Rabbi Eleazer, "we will try the finding spell."

"Oh," said Harry. It all made sense now. He had been practicing this spell for weeks, and he was anxious to try it.

"You, in the center, complete the circuit," said the rabbi, pointing at Harry. "Do you have the locket? The one that was destroyed?" Harry nodded and swallowed hard. He reached into the moleskin pouch, the one that Hagrid had given him, that was always around his neck. He pulled out the broken horcrux and handed it to the rabbi.

The old man placed it carefully on one corner of the six sided star. He reached inside his own robes and produced a large silver ring.

"This symbolizes the ring - the one that was destroyed by Albus Dumbledore."

He went over to the shelf, picked out a small leather bound book, and set it on another point of the star. "This is for the diary - the one that was destroyed by the basilisk's fang."

He waved his wand and a small light weight object came fluttering out of his study. The rabbi caught it in his hand. It was a snakeskin, dry and crinkly. He laid it carefully on the point of the star opposite the broken locket.

"For the snake," he said. "The Dark Lord's companion. The one that is yet to be destroyed."

He snapped his fingers and two blank pieces of parchment appeared in his hand. He set them on the two remaining points of the star.

"Seven horcruxes," the rabbi said. "Five are known, including yourself. Two are unknown, but you need to know. You have a pressing need."

"I do," said Harry hoarsely.

"We will recite the shehekianu, Harry," said the rabbi, looking at him. "Do you remember it?"

"Yes," whispered Harry.