Olan the Artist

Above: Painting of "Alicia at the Five Browns Concert," held in Columbia, Missouri, and below "Woman plays a Lute"

Above: Painting of "Alicia at the Five Browns Concert," held in Columbia, Missouri, and below "Woman plays a Lute". "The Banner photo is Reclining Nude."

Me with the painting of, "Alicia at the Five Brown's Concert

Me with the painting of, "Alicia at the Five Brown's Concert."

Olan the Artist

Most of you who are reading this know I'm an artist of the brush, and if you don't know I will suggest you visit my online Pinterest gallery. Eventually someone will ask; do you sell your art? And my answer is yes, absolutely. I've most of my life taken money for my pieces, or I've painted to pay off bills for doctors and lawyers. In 1992, a doctor looked me up and set up an appointment, and she bought out nearly everything I had, including unfinished pieces; my wife was astonished and so was I. I asked why, and the buyer said it was an investment. I don't want my paintings, and that may sound horrible to some, but I paint for others, and for many I've never met, may never meet, or isn't born. I say often, "I'm painting for someone, they just don't know it, yet." I was shown in an open air market in 1990. The city of Arrow Rock, Missouri invited me to the show and I accepted. I was painting Dancer at the time as she posed for me. But I kept an eye out on my paintings hung in the tent. One man stopped, looked really close at my "Cardinal in the Birch Tree" painting. Then he left, and I resumed my portrait, about fifteen minutes pass and he returns and did the same examination, and left again. About an hour later he returned, except this time he was with his family; they all examined it, and they bought it. I painted for them three years before I knew them. I asked him about himself and he replied that he was a doctor from so and so town. Mostly though, I worked by commission. It was a promise I made myself early that I would not paint unless I was paid in advance, and then I would reinvest the money into supplies to support the hobby. That would change along the way as I needed to keep my skills sharp and I needed to fill my walls with my work.