Chapter 21.

~Julia~

My eyes pop open, only to shut closed again from the bright fluorescent lights.

I have a huge headache.

I try again and this time I blink until I can see clearly.

I realize I'm in a hospital bed and try to sit up, not seeing that my arm is in a cast.

Pain shoots through my left arm and I cry out in pain.

A nurse rushes in.

"She's awake!" She yells into the hallway then turns back to me with a smile.

"Hi, honey. My name is Sam and I'll be your nurse for the duration of your stay here. Do you know why you're here?"

I start to shake my head until everything comes back to me:

Damion cheating with Sasha

Dominic sleeping with Sasha

Jamal being in love with me

My car crash

And now I'm here.

I look up at the nurse and realize she's waiting for me to respond.

"Uh.." I clear my throat. "Y-yes I know why I'm here.I had a car wreck."

She nods and smiles again.

After checking my vitals, she claps her hands and puts them on her hips.

"Great! Okay so, I'll be just across the hall and if you need anything," She gestures to a little button on a remote. "Just press this button.Oh!and by the way." She leans in close and whispers. "Your roommate may be a little...off so, be careful hun."

She stands up straight and walks out, closing the door behind her.

I didn't even realize I shared this room until she mentioned it.

I turn my neck slowly and see a blue curtain separating the room.

"H-hello?" I whisper.

No response.

I try again and get the same result.

I give up after ten minutes and start to get comfortable before someone busts into my room.

The last person I thought I would see here.

~Jamal~

I watch her leave and sigh.

I shouldn't have put all that on her like that.

But I just couldn't hold it in anymore after all these years.

I tried not to admit it but I knew I couldn't stop myself from being in love with Nicolette Julia Sammons.

I walk back into the kitchen and clean up the mess she made.

When I finish, there's a knock at the door.

I sprint to the front door and throw it open, expecting to see Julia but instead getting a little blonde girl.

"You came bac-" The smile on my face drops. "Oh hey, Milly."

"Hi Jamal!" She giggles and skips into my house. "Mommy said I could come over today. Whatcha doin'?"

"Nothing much." I mumble plopping down on the couch.

I thought Julia had come back.

I sigh and Milly looks up at me.

"What's wrong, Mal?"

How do you explain being in love with someone who doesn't love you to a seven year-old?

I force a small smile.

"I'm fine."

Her eyebrows come together and her green eyes fill with tears and narrow.

"That's what Jason used to say." She whispers.

A couple months ago, Milly's older brother Jason committed suicide.

He was openly gay and was bullied for it so one day he just got tired of it and hung himself in his bathroom.

To be as young as she is, Milly took the death of her only sibling pretty well.

"I'm sorry, Mil." I say pulling her close to me. "I-...I'm sorry. I just don't feel well."

She wipes her eyes and smiles at me.

"I can make you some soup."

I smile at how caring this little girl is for her age.

"Nah it's okay. But maybe you should head home." I fake cough. "I might be contagious."

I start tickling and blowing my breath in face.

"Ew Jamal, stop! You're sicky!" She gets out between giggles. "Stop, I have to potty!"

I stop and let her get up but instead of going to the bathroom, she sprints to the door.

"Haha, sucker!" She sticks her tongue out and leaves.

I laugh to myself and get comfortable on the couch.

I turn the tv on and the news is on.

"Moments ago, police respond to a 911 call of a car-related accident.Apparently, the driver lost control of the car and crashed into a tree."

I start to change the channel but stop as the accident pops up on the screen.

"The driver has been identified as 17-year-old Julia Sammons."

My breath catches in my throat.

No, it can't be.

"Ms. Sammons was unconscious during the rescue and suffered a broken arm and a minor head injury. She has been taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital and will undergo-"

I jump up and am halfway out the door when I realize I'm only in boxers and a T-shirt.

I grab some sweatpants and my keys and race to my car.

God, please let her be okay.

I can't lose her twice.

I love her.