xi. the time of angels

Start from the beginning

     "A needle in a haystack," River muses.

     "A needle that looks like hay. A hay-like needle of death. A hay-alike needle of death in a haystack of, er, statues. No, yours was fine."

     "Right. Check every single statue in this chamber. You know what you're looking for. Complete visual inspection," Octavian orders his Clerics before turning back to Amy and the odd Time Lord trio. "One question. How do we fight it?"

     "We find it, and hope."

     OCTAVIAN STOPS RIVER FROM following the Time Lord. "He doesn't know yet, does he? Who and what you are? But she does."

     "It's too early in his time stream," River admits, concerned eyes flicking to the Doctor and then back to Octavian. "As for Violet, she's always known who and what I am, ever since the day we first met."

     "Well, make sure he doesn't work it out, or he's not going to help us."

     "I won't let you down. Believe you me, I have no intention of going back to prison."

     "Sir?" one of the Clerics calls, walking over to the Father. "Side chamber. One visible exit."

     "Check it out," Octavian orders. "Angelo, go with him."

     THE DOCTOR AND AMY start up the terraces. She pauses to rub her eye, and stone dust falls out between her fingers.

     "You all right?" River asks.

     "Yeah, I'm fine," Amy dismisses. "So, what's a Maze of the Dead?"

     "Oh, it's not as bad as it sounds. It's just a labyrinth with dead people buried in the walls."

     The Scottish woman gives the blonde a horrified look.

     "Okay, that was fairly bad. Right give me your arm. This won't hurt a bit." River injects Amy.

     "Ow!"

     "There, you see. I lied. It's a viro-stabiliser. Stabilises your metabolism against radiation, drive burn, anything. You're going to need it when we get up to that ship."

     Amy is quick to change the subject, wanting to know more about her childhood imaginary friend. "So what's he like? In the future, I mean. Because you know him in the future, don't you?"

     "The Doctor? Well, the Doctor's the Doctor."

     "Oh. Well, that's very helpful. Mind if I write that down?"

     River shines her torch over at the Doctor. "Yes, we are."

     "Sorry, what?" the Time Lord asks, pretending to be consumed in the readings on River's portable computer slash communicator.

     "Talking about you."

     "I wasn't listening. I'm busy."

     "Ah. The other way up, my love," Violet teases.

     The Doctor turns River's portable computer around. "Yeah."

     "You're so his wife," Amy teases.

     "Oh, Amy, Amy, Amy," River tutts. "This is the Doctor we're talking about. Do you really think it could be anything that simple?"

     "Yep."