dreamer's ball

// ANGST

Somedays, George thinks he's getting better.

He thinks that he's getting better when he thinks back to the days and weeks where he couped himself up into his dark room, curtains tightly shut and door handle locked so his roommate Karl wouldn't barge in anymore. He had gotten pretty tired of Karl's constant checkups (though he very distantly appreciated it), so he simply locked the door and didn't respond until Karl called it quits.

But when he steps out into the real world—or, rather, a park for the first time in over a month, and happens to see him for the first time in two months, he's frozen in place, eyes wide as a sudden aching pain overtakes his body. A pain that makes the air in his lungs leave in a violent breath, a pain that nearly makes him fall to his knees onto the lithium floor.

Him—no, Dream is standing, hand in hand with a familiar raven. Dream has a wide, genuine smile spread across his face as he guides Sapnap in a dance. He holds Sapnap close, one hand on his waist and the other has their fingers laced.

The way Dream is looking at Sapnap makes George sick. The way he blinks is so fond, so loving. The way he gazes ardently, his love for Sapnap lasting and undying. It makes George sick to his fucking stomach, because that's how Dream used to look at him. Used to.

It looks like they are in their own little world—and maybe they are.

They look happy. George was happy once.

George looks away, hurt, and reaches for Karl's wrist, harshly tugging him in the opposite direction. Tears cascade down his already tear-stained cheeks as he presses his free hand's palm into his eye to stop the tears.

Karl asks him what that was about as he's forced into the driver's seat of his car, but George doesn't answer. Instead, he curls in on himself and lets it all out, because he wasn't getting better. He wasn't sure he ever was in the first place.

How could George be so unlucky?

How could the world be so cruel as to make that coincidence happen, seeing Dream and Sapnap dance like George and Dream had once done? Dream used to take George to the same park, after hours as the stars twinkled above, and the crickets chirped their nightly songs.

"What are we doing out here so late?" George asked as they stepped out onto the grass, the tiny blades brushing against his exposed ankles. The park looked different at nightstreet lamps illuminating flickering yellow light onto the ground, the gentle sway of the tree branches and leaves, the overall silence around them, save for the crickets and the sound of their footsteps.

"A surprise," Dream grinned, characteristically smug. George rolled his eyes adoringly, hand reaching for Dream's instinctively.

George kept his eyes on Dream's, shining and bright even in the dark night, as the blond pulled out his phone with his left hand, searching for something. He made a small noise of approval when he found whatever it was he was looking for, and then pressed his thumb down onto his phone screen.

A soft tune elicited from his phone speakers, playing out into the night sky. George raised a curious, yet intrigued brow as Dream tossed his phone to the side, his now free hand moving to grab the brunet's small waist.

"What are you-"

"Dance with me?" Dream asked softly, unlacing their fingers so he could stroke his fingertips against George's cold cheek, moving up to tuck his fluffy hair behind his ear. George leaned into the touch, fluttering his lashes sweetly as a genuine smile formed on his face.