Expelling the Demon

Start from the beginning

"We have to end this quickly!" David said. "Dice, give me a boost." The former casino manager summoned another playing card from his suit sleeve. It quickly grew to person size and levitated above the ground like a magic carpet. "When I give the signal, you boys give it everything you've got.... Because we'll need it to get rid of this monster."

Cup helped his brother stand up by himself. Mugman swayed a bit as his sibling let go. They looked at one another, wondering if they had enough energy left in them to finish it off. The two mutated cups then watched as the Devil hopped on the playing card, trident in hand. Dice then used his magic to make it fly toward the colossal demon. Muscular tentacles came at the flying piece of paper in all directions. The die man made the magic vessel spiral around so that the appendages crossed over one another and got confused. King Dice brought the playing card to a halt just behind the demon's core. For the Devil knew he had to be quick. The parasitic creature would no doubt sense his presence in a matter of seconds.

David stepped off the ace of hearts with a wince of pain. Using his trident to steady himself, he prepared to open a portal. Gray paws grasped the weapon and began to trace a circle. Darkness seemed to seep out of the opening as it grew larger. Shadows lapped at the rim of the portal, clearly trying to get out. Spews of lava roared upward in an attempt to control the dark spirits that had been condemned to that realm. For it was the place that those with pure evil hearts went. We're not talking about petty crimes or sins. No, this was the place where the individuals had desired world domination and used genocide as their primary means to do so. The place where they were far, far away from redemption. These were the souls that the world wishes it could forget. And that's where this demon was going.

As soon as the portal grew to a considerable size, the Devil called to the boys to unleash their special attacks.

"Now!" He roared. The cup brothers responded by lowering their heads and releasing the liquid cannons. Cuphead's attack was bright red and Mugman's dark blue. They aimed directly for the colossal demon's center. The beams collided into the demon with a deafening roar. It immediately started to get pushed back as its screams intensified. But the parasitic creature wasn't about to go that easily. Each and every one of its tentacles suctioned themselves to the cavern's floor and walls. Dice growled in annoyance at this.

"Push a little harder, boys!" The die man urged. Cup and Mug heard this and tried their best to increase their power. Mugman's eyes shifted around to see the tentacles starting to come loose. Some had almost lost their grip but the creature planted them back down like a powerful magnet.

No! It's not working! The young mug began to panic. I don't know how much longer I can hold this!

Their energy seemed to be draining much faster than the demon that was getting continually pummeled. They began to pant wildly. Cup also sensed that this was not working and came up with an idea.

"Let's get closer, Mugs! A close-range attack will be much more effective!" He yelled over the pounding of their liquid beams. Mugman merely nodded and followed his brother's lead. They began to trail forward slowly, heads still lowered and not letting up even for a second. Cuphead's plan seemed to be working. Loud popping noises accompanied the removal of each individual suction cup. The boys' bodies began to wilt. Mug started to worry that the plan would ultimately not work. That their souls would give out just before the creature was pushed into the deepest of deep pits. Cup and Mug fell to their hands and knees as they continued to power forward. The young mug felt his body begin to slow down and ultimately come to a stop. His eyes darted around to see the tentacles being ripped away from their surroundings, taking pieces of rock with it. One of the appendages even took a stalactite with it. Cup kept going a couple feet forward before he ultimately stopped too.

The cup brothers could feel their bodies shrinking back down to normal size. Even their demons had exhausted their powers. Poor Mugman couldn't hold it anymore and stopped shooting. His small body merely heaved as he gasped for breath. The mug child looked to his brother, who was still pummeling the colossal demon as his beam turned from bright red to white. Mug then watched the parasitic creature get sucked into the circular portal.

It's working! We did it! The little mug cheered. Cuphead finally ceased his liquid fury and panted just like his younger brother.

Despite the fact that it was getting sent to that dark realm, the creature desperately still lashed out with its tentacles to hold onto something. It could not get traction on the wall or floor. The portal started to shrink after the demon's large core had gotten sucked in. Mug noticed a rogue tentacle aiming right for Cuphead. If it was going, then the creature of darkness wanted to take someone with it.

"Cuphead, watch out!" Mugman cried and threw himself at his sibling who clearly had not noticed the dull purple appendage coming for him. The young cup got tossed to the side only to see the muscle constrict around the mug child.

"Mugs!" He cried and dove after his sibling that was getting dragged away. Mug put his claws out to try and slow the progress. The horrible scraping noise they made on the stone ground only put more fear into his heart. For it was doing nothing to stop what was happening. Cup took a dive and grabbed his little brother's left hand. He then brought claws to his free hand to help try and slow the drag. The little mug looked over his shoulder at the nearing portal. It was coming so fast and they weren't slowing down. At this rate, they would both be dragged into the depths along with the demon. Mug felt his heart drop to his feet. No, both of them didn't need to be trapped. Only one. He looked back to the young cup with tears in his eyes.

"We can do this, Mugs!" Cuphead urged with eyes closed. He was putting all the energy he had left into trying to save his brother. "Rrrrrgh!" He grunted, digging his claws deep into the stone, actually able to hold them in place for a mere second. But that's all it was. And then they were on the move again. The cup child's eyes shot open in shock only to see the young mug's look of sorrow. He instantly knew what he was thinking. "Mugs, don't you dare-!"

"I'm sorry, Cuphead." Mugman uttered before letting go of Cup's hand.

"MUGMAN, NO!!!"

Their gloved hands parted. Mug waved a glum goodbye as the young cup still dove after him. And then the red cup came to a sudden halt. For someone had tackled him and held him back. All he needed was a quick glance at the purple-sleeved arms to know who it was.

"Let me go, King Dice! I said let me go, damn it!" The boy cried as tears streamed down his cup. He struggled against the grip to no avail.

"I'm sorry, kid. But I can't do that." Dice said, sounding sad himself. The two of them watched as the Devil squeezed himself into the portal after the mug child. It then closed with no trace of it ever existing. Cuphead finally stopped struggling against the king's grip when he realized there was no way to follow them. Tears streamed down his cup. He thought he lost his brother for good this time. How on earth would they escape that realm when they both were so weak?

"Mugs....I've failed you." The young cup sobbed and hung his head in shame.

"I'm sorry, kid. I wish there was something I could do to get them back. But only the Devil can access that realm. It will be up to him to bring your brother back." Dice explained, slowly easing his grip on the boy. Cuphead squirmed himself away from the die man and ultimately threw himself onto his grandpa. They embraced one another in a tight hug as they both sobbed, thinking the little mug was gone forever.

"All we can do now is wait and see if they make it back." King Dice said tersely, watching the spot where the portal had been so very intensely. Like he was an eagle and that spot was a small mouse that would avoid capture if his focus was averted for even a fraction of a second. His green eyes stared intently as he tried to telepathically reach his boss.