Chapter 2- Dauntless

One of Jeanine's assistants drove the sleek, silver car toward the multi-story building known as the Hub. The car drove fast over the many potholes of the city, jarring my body, and causing me to hit my head on the window a couple of times.

Jeanine laid out a powder blue dress for me today, which adorned an indigo belt that hug my slender hips tightly.

I had thought about the test all night last night. I remember reading a book about Faction History. At the time, Amity had seemed the best possible decision for me. I could stay outside all day, having adventures. There would be no more abuse, just peace and love. The test confused me. I would have bet anything that I would receive the result of Amity. Sure, I had a love of literature, but why Erudite?

I must have been lost in my thoughts, because when I came back to reality, I was already walking into the tall building. After climbing what seemed like a never ending amount of staircases, we reached the ceremony, and I was led to where I was to sit.

"As you know," Jeanine began her speech. It was Erudite's turn to host the ceremony this year. "to avoid the war, we, as a city, split up into five factions. The ones who blamed dishonesty formed Candor. Those who blamed selfishness formed Abnegation. Those who blamed cowardice formed Dauntless. Those who blamed violence formed Amity. And finally, those who blamed ignorance formed Erudite. Today, you will choose the path of life in which you intend to travel. You must be sure of which direction you will go because after today, there is no going back. Let us begin."

The ceremony began and they began to call out names in alphabetical order.

"Zacharias, Jeffrey" was called first. Jeffrey nervously walked down the steps, dressed in Abnegation grey. I noticed a bead of sweat ran down from his temples as he fidgeted for the knife in my sister's hands. He cut his hand and a puddle of crimson began to form on his palm. He gripped his hands shut in an attempt to hold the blood. He stared at the bowls for a moment, looking at each one thoughtfully. After a while, the contents of his hand began to spill onto the grey stones. "Abnegation!" Jeanine called out. No one cheered. He was just welcomed back with a slight smile from the Abnegation.

Next, Jeanine dainty voice called out for "Zander, Kaitlyn." A girl, seemingly more confident than the boy before, walked to the bowls in her Amity yellow and red ensemble. She took the knife from Jeanine and thanked her. She was quicker to her decision, slicing her hand and pouring her blood onto the hot coals. "Dauntless!" The Dauntless erupted into a loud cheer. As Kaitlyn walked over to be seated along the sea of black, Dauntless members ran over to pat her on the back, shouting "Welcome to Dauntless."

The ceremony went on calling names, the only real excitement being when a person chose Dauntless. I thought of Amity, what my life would be like there. But every time I thought of it, a life at Dauntless would pop into my head.

Soon, Jeanine called out the words with satisfaction, "Matthews, Rose." I stood up, my legs shaking, probably looking similar to the Abnegation boy that chose first. Stumbling over to Jeanine, she placed the knife in my hands, giving me a reassuring smile. I looked down the line at all of the bowls. My eyes focusing on the red-tinted water, the bloody dirt, and the flaming hot coals. I brought the blade of the knife across my palm, hot pain coursing over my hand. Blood began to trickle down my arm. I gazed back and forth from the dirt, water, and coals. I must have been there for a while, because Jeanine cleared her throat impatiently. I decided that I had to choose now, no more time for thought. I jerked my hand quickly overtop of the hot coals, hearing the sound of sizzling. "Dauntless." Jeanine almost whispered. The sound of the sizzling coals was then blocked out by the loud cheers of Dauntless.