Where her ability came from and why she and no one else exhibited it never mattered to Linda. It would be a couple of years before she fully comprehended how special their relationship was. During her early years, the acceptance came because the Water provided one Earthly place she felt at ease with her movements. Their relationship washed away all of the physical challenges she faced on land, and Linda welcomed their friendship with simple, unquestioning gratitude.

After a wave destroyed their latest creation, Linda asked Sharon if she wanted to go swimming. Jetties along Metuchin's public beach eliminated riptides and undertows, dividing it into three sections, each with two lifeguard stands. Most parents considered the roped-off swim areas completely safe and allowed their children to go in without concern; townie parents stopped worrying about their children swimming when they were little more than toddlers. Sharon's mother, though, being new to the beach and knowing her daughter's swimming experience came solely from a pool, made Sharon promise to get her before she went in.

When Sharon came back to the water's edge with her mother, she saw Linda waving to her from the spot in the water where the kids played. Lying on the Connecticut shoreline where the Long Island Sound meets the Atlantic Ocean, Metuchin's surf is relatively tame. Other than during and in the aftermath of storms, the waves rarely reached four feet. However, to a child, even small breaking waves can feel intimidating. So with her mother's pat on the butt for encouragement, Sharon marched right in. After all, the water only came up to the kids' chests where they were playing, although Linda seemed to be floating, not standing.

Sharon's first few steps were like walking downstairs. Suddenly the water was up to her chin, and as waves came, she had to kick like mad to keep her head above the breaking surf. Feeling like it might be more than she bargained for, Sharon looked back to her mother, who was standing knee-deep, ready to come to her rescue.

As Sharon kicked her feet and rose with another wave, Linda popped out of the water beside her. "Don't worry. It's only over your head for a little bit," she assured Sharon. "Then there's a sandbar where you can touch. That's where all the kids play. Follow me." That said, Linda arched her back, dove under, and was back on the sandbar before Sharon could wipe the splash from her face.

With a fury of kicking, Sharon took her deepest breath and swam up and over the waves. Once she got to the sandbar, her feet secured in the rippled sand, she waved back to her mother and turned to Linda with the obvious confession. "I guess you can tell I don't swim so good, huh."

"That's okay," Linda shrugged. "I don't walk too good, so I guess we're even."

The girls swam - bobbing, diving and splashing. Linda tried teaching Sharon how to do handstands and somersaults, all the time being careful not to show off. Still, Linda's ability struck Sharon the way an unachievable feat always awes a child. Clearly, Linda's swimming was different from any of the other kids.

It didn't take long for the combination of swimming and holding herself against the waves to sap Sharon's energy. Not so for Linda; she showed no effect. She expended zero energy fighting the Water. Instead, she floated with it, trusting the currents, tides, and wash of the ocean to help push her where together they decided she should go.

Finally, looking at the prunes her fingers had become, Sharon decided it must be time to go in. "Let's get out," she said, showing her hands to support her case. "My mom'II give us money for ice cream."

Once on the beach, Sharon ran toward her family's encampment. Now came Linda's challenge. She allowed a wave to bring her right to the shore. Getting to her knees and then pushing herself up, Linda followed along in her awkward way - a limp on her right and a hitch in her step as she swung around her left leg.