II - The Planet Life Spy

Helen, frightened by the hypothesis that hovered over her head, went to the window. She stared at the horizon, to disguise what was happening, and plunged into her grandmother's mind. She felt the pain, the worries, the anguish, and the suffering at the thought of her possible death, the threat of being away from those she loved.

At this moment, Sophia called her, interrupting the connection:

"Helen!"

The girl looked into her eyes.

"Is everything okay, my dear?"

"Yes. For a moment, I traveled in my thoughts longing for my parents and Grandpa Merko."

From that moment on, Helen realized the great power she had. But that wasn't a burden at all, something to be feared. Her greatest goal was to help her loved ones and love doesn't cause fatigue. On the contrary, it always shows us that we're stronger than we think.

"Don't worry, Grandma! You'll be fine... This disease will pass."

"Oh my God! Once again, I heard Helen's voice inside my head."

Her granddaughter smiled and said:

"You need to rest."

Lorena looked into her eyes as if filled with doubts in her mind.

Isabelita and Sophia smiled together with Helen, finding the situation funny and, at the same time, strange.

"I also think you need to relax, my niece. Your granddaughter is right."

***

At San Jose's airport, Lorena's uncles bade them good-bye with strong hugs. The three promised that they would come back as soon as possible and proceeded with their trip to California.

Inside the plane, Helen began to train her power to pass the time. She then started reading the thoughts of the passengers telepathically and realized the great tension some felt during the journey.

She looked at a man who was three rows ahead and saw that he had put a shirt over his head. Then he lowered himself, leaning against the front seat as if he wanted to isolate himself from the world. The girl heard that gentleman's palpitations as if his heart wanted to come out of his mouth. And without knowing how she absorbed that sense of fear. That was bad to her.

"What happened, Helen? Are you well?" Sophia asked.

"I'm feeling a little uneasiness, but it will pass. It must be the altitude," the girl replied as she stared at the horizon from the window.

"Relax and rest. We'll be home in a few hours' time", Sophia whispered, and smiled to transmit a sense of tranquility.

"I miss daddy and mommy. Where are they now?"

"I'm sure they're all right." Sophia tried to comfort the girl.

Helen began to realize that penetrating the minds of others and encountering their feelings could be more painful than dealing with her own emotions.

With a sad countenance, she looked at her grandmother. She felt Lorena's sadness so strong it seemed to crush her. She missed her parents there, at that moment. Maybe they could help her.

Lorena asked for a painkiller to the stewardess and, after ingesting it with a glass of water, leaned her head on the support and went back to thinking about Merko. She longed to get home quickly and hear some news about her relatives, somehow. Even though she didn't feel well physically, she felt obliged to take care of the girls.

Meanwhile, Sophia seemed to glance at the stewardess that was serving some snacks, but her thoughts wandered far away. Precisely, to the classroom of her university. She could not wait to return to the course that had been her dream since childhood. But what she missed the most was the boy she had met, Hans Rethins. German, blond, green-eyed, and athletic looking, he caught Sophia's attention since the first day she saw him. Although he spoke English well, he had an accent that made him stand out among the other researchers. When Sophia talked to him at the university, she noticed that everyone watched them.

Hans was an engineer and developed a project on innovations in the field of space telescope, together with the California State Cosmology Institute, the same place where Sophia's brother, Nicholas, worked. At the age of almost 30, he already knew what he wanted out of life.

The boy always wanted to have a girlfriend, preferably from the engineering field, and Sophia was the person with whom he had always dreamed. Although she was younger and just getting started on the course, Hans became interested in her, and his heart told him that it was reciprocated.

They had already gone out together to watch a movie, and just as the relationship seemed to go further, she had been forced to travel. They both communicated through e-mails and social networks, but she knew there was nothing better than the "eyes in the eyes" for something to develop. They hadn't seen each other for some time, and Sophia missed him.

She remembered the last exchange of messages between them:

"Dear Hans, I miss you and I hope to see you soon. I would like to be there, with you."

He answered:

"Come back to the courses soon. Everything here's more beautiful with your presence. I miss you."

"I'll be back soon! Kisses."

In the seat next to Sophia, Helen tried to get some sleep, but her imagination wouldn't let her. She remembered the trip to Japan she had received as a gift from her parents and the revelations that occurred in that country.

It was hard for her to believe in something so magnificent and surprising. The fact that she traveled with her grandmother and aunt Sophia was beneficial to her, because she could stay away from everything and think life over.

She knew she was different since she began to listen to the thoughts of her classmates, but she was still just a child, and it wasn't easy to accept her new reality.

Her telekinetic power also impressed her. She could move the objects with the force of her thoughts and the explanation that was given to her during the trip to Japan was the most plausible.

She couldn't forget that image of when she had transformed into an alien. She remembered that day clearly.

"But what about now? How am I going to handle everything by myself? Where are my parents and grandfather, who promised to help me live with this new situation? Where are those who would protect me?"

Suddenly, she stared at the reflection in the plane's window, to see if she had her normal appearance and ran her fingers over the glass softly. At the thought that she might be in the extraterrestrial shape there, at that moment, the girl's heart started beating fast.

"I can't imagine what it would be like if I had to live forever in that body that I transformed into in Japan. My colleagues were going to die of fear and I wouldn't have friends."

However, she, or rather, none of them imagined that her concerns were minimal near what was waiting for them.

_______________________________