a night out

Once dressed, Sam looked up a bar and James followed indignantly. Upon entering, James knew this place was not for him. The sounds, the people, the smells. It was all too overwhelming. Sam brought them to the bar. "Two shots of vodka, please." 

"Vodka?" James shakes his head and looks around. The bartender gives Sam the two shots and Sam hands one over. 

"To a new you." Sam takes the shot and James takes his. 

After a few more drinks, Sam starts moving towards the ladies.

"Come on, let's try talking to same women." Sam leads, James follows dreadfully. "Hey, ladies. This is my first night in town, I'm here with my friend, James."

"Aren't you Falcon?" one woman asks over the noise.

"Yeah, yeah, that's me and this is Buck-- I mean James."

James nods slightly at them. 

"Such a shame Captain America is gone," a woman says half-way drunk. "Weren't you two like best friends?" 

Sam looks at James and tries to divert the conversation. "Yeah, well, we're here to talk about you beautiful ladies." James slips away quietly and leaves through a back door. He rubs his face in his hands and holds back any and all emotions. Really, Sam? Why did you bring me here? He takes a few breaths before hearing a faint cry. He listens closely and follows the sound. It was coming from an area near the dumpster and he finds a woman bruised and beaten. 

"Hey, are you okay?" he sits her up. Her crying continues and he continues to calm her. "Listen, you're safe now. Can you tell me your name?"

"Maria," she continues crying.

"Okay, Maria. My name is James. Do you remember anything?"

"No.. just that someone robbed me," she grabs onto him and sobs in his arms. 

"That's okay. I'm going to take you to a hospital, okay?"

"Okay." 

He sits her up and calls Sam's phone. 

"Hey man, where did you go?"

"Come out back, a woman has been robbed."

"What?"

"Just come out the back door." He ends the call and continues to console her.

He hears Sam walk up. "Hey, what's-- oh man.."

"Yeah, we gotta get her to the hospital." 

"Okay. Go grab the car and we will drive her there."

James runs to the car and picks them up. 

Once in the hospital, the doctors check her out. 

"Who is with Maria Knoll?" a doctor asks.

"We are." James and Sam approach. 

"Yeah. We did everything we could, she is just in shock at the moment and doesn't remember much. We stitched up cuts, but it will take her some time to recover. I would suggest taking her to the police station."

"Okay. Thanks."

Maria is strolled back out in a wheelchair, and they take her to the nearest station. 

Since Maria did not see the robber's face and there were no cameras at the bar, the police were not able to file an official report. James and Sam make sure Maria is taken home by family members. Once she is gone, James was done for the night and took Sam back to his apartment.