Chapter 24: The Cave

"What do you mean the kids are missing!?" asked Asta as he deactivated Liebe's power and Rebecca ran up to him. "Luca and Marco aren't in their rooms and I can't find them anywhere!" said Rebecca as her face began to get more panicked by the second. "Woah, woah ,woah, calm down for a second" said Asta as he tried to stop Rebecca from hyperventilating, "are you sure they're not in the washroom or something?".

Suddenly dozens of front-doors opened to parents calling for their children's names. "Ok, probably not the bathroom" said Asta as he watched the parents begin to freak out. "Die" said Gauche as he sent another blast that Asta quickly dodged. "Could you not attack me for one minute!?" shouted Asta as he turned to Gauche. "No" replied Gauche in a matter of fact voice.

"Asta, what's going on?" asked Noelle as she walked outside and towards the group. ."It seems like a bunch of the kids in this town have gone missing, along with Luca and Marco" said Asta as he turned to Noelle. "Wait really!?" said Noelle in a shocked voice, "I felt a bunch of mana heading towards the mountain once I woke up. But I was too distracted to mention it" said Noelle as she glared at Gauche.

"I sense someone's mana in this snow" said the Nun from earlier in the day as she and other members of the church walked over and joined the conversation, "It seems to be a spell meant to control children due to their small amount of mana. Several of our children were taken as well. To think someone would do this to children". "Old Hag, you said that some of yours were taken?" said Gauche as his face became more threatening than ever before, "was Marie one of them?". "Unfortunately, yes. Marie as one of the children taken" replied the Nun. "Old Hag!" shouted Gauche as he grabbed her by the collar and pulled her into the air, "you were right there, Hag. what were you doing?!". "Of course you would immediately resort to using violence, you really are a good for nothing thug" said the Nun as she did act affected by Gauche pulling her up, "hit me if you want, but it won't bring Marie back". "You're right" said Gauche before pulling back his clenched fist, "but it will sure as hell make me feel better".

"Sister Theresa!" shouted one of the Nuns as Gauche threw his punch only for it to be caught by Asta. "Asta, you little!" said Gauche as he glared at Asta as he tried to get his fist out of Asta's grip but to no avail. "Alright Gauche I think it's time you calm down" said Asta as he used his free hand to hit Gauche over the head sending his face into the snow. "A Magic Knight should always have a clear head" said Asta in a way that if he were there would have made Fuegoleon proud. "You're right" said Gauche as he slowly got up. "Wow it worked" said Liebe in awe. "I'll kill you calmly" said Gauche with an emotionless glare. "And there it goes" said Liebe as he facepalmed himself.

"Dammit Gauche, could you drop your kill rage for five seconds so we can think of a way to find the kids!?" yelled Asta as he was getting really tired of Gauche threatening to kill him tonight. "Oh" said gauche as he remembered a very important piece of information that would have been useful five minutes ago, "I have Marie always carry a magic mirror wherever she goes. If I use the transmission spell that links the mirrors together I can track the mana and tell roughly where she is!". "Yes that's perfect!" said Asta as he pointed at Gauche, "Gauche that's the most useful thing you've done since I met you!". "The hell did you sa-!" said Gauche before he was cut off by Asta. "Come on we got no time to waste" said Asta as he pulled out his sword to fly. "I will come as well" said Sister Theresa, "the safety of the children of the church are my responsibility". "Are you sure that's a good idea Sister?" asked Asta as he climbed on his sword. "Let her come, she may be old but she packs some power".

"Asta.." said Rebecca as she walked over to Asta as he floated on top of his blade, "Marco's dumb, and Luca has a stubborn streak. I'm worried, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to them". "Rebecca..." said Asta before he started to have a warm smile, "I promise I'll bring your siblings back safe and sound". "Thank you, Asta" said Rebecca as she wiped away the tears that were starting to form.