அ Chapter Twelve அ

Logan was cautious to leave Nikolas alone inside, but only after the doctor's insistence did he do so.

Nikolas continued into the house, taking his time to be careful as he did.

The minds of the students just barely pressed at his, the more powerful and consciously aware ones attempting a vague semblance of control. Nikolas closed off his mind to the rest, taking in deep breaths as he attempted to keep himself calm throughout the walk.

"Nikolas." A voice spoke into his mind, pushing past the barriers that he had placed in a delicate way.

"Professor." Nikolas spoke allowed, his voice echoing on the bare halls of the school. He continued forward, walking the familiar path to the man's office as he did.

There were memories to be found in the further reaches of Nikolas' mind when he walked. Memories from long ago when he first attended the school.

It had been a new adventure that Nikolas had not been ready for. His words had always been impossibly far away up until the moment that he met Erik Lehnsherr. To Nikolas, the gifts and powers he had been born with were a burden just in the beginning, solely because his lack of control.

Nikolas had been sitting in the garden when he first met Erik.

The man happened upon him with a grim smile, speaking at Nikolas but not to him. He told the story of when he first met the Professor, and Nikolas had laughed at it. Erik shared that Nikolas was more capable than he believed, and that control was as easy as excepting that he would not always have full control.

It was the first time Nikolas had spoken, his words as simple as asking Erik if he had always had control.

The memory was a sad one, with the knowledge that Erik Lehnsherr was no longer at the school.

Nikolas smiled at the Professor as he entered his office.

"I didn't think you would hear me." Charles wasn't facing the door, but knew that he had entered. "You keep your mind locked tight."

This was the biggest thing to change since Nikolas had left the school. The block over his mind was specific, keeping everything out and his own thoughts in. "I know."

It was silent for a few minutes, Charles turned from the window, his chair making a small whirling sound as it did. "What do you remember Nikolas?"

Nikolas sighed. "I remember falling from the sky, but I do not remember flying." He shut his eyes tight, rubbing at the side of his head as he tried to put his thoughts together. "It is just blank."

Charles offered him a seat and Nikolas sat in it heavily, breathing in and out as though he had not just been debating his existence. "How did you loose your leg Nikolas?"

The doctor paused, his shoulders heaving as he attempted to think through the situation. He leaned back in his chair, "My dad and I, we were at a weapons presentation in Afghanistan. Our escorts were attacked and we were taken prisoner."

Charles winced in a sympathetic way that Nikolas did not understand.

"I was injured in the attack and when we were rescued, the only thing they could do was remove the leg." Nikolas wanted to shrug it off, but speaking about it now seemed to affect him differently. He paused, rubbing at where the metal met his thigh. "You heard about it in the news."

It was not a question, solely because he knew that the Professor kept tabs on all of his students to the best of his abilities.

"I did." Charles nodded. "What happened after that?"

Nikolas paused. "We went home. I announced myself as Co-CEO and changed the future of the company. We worked on a new project." He blinked twice, "I went to Stark International for some reason-"

A flash of a memory passed through his mind, a hand grabbing his wrist painfully, cold metal sliding around the skin there. He winced away from it. "I was attacked, injured-" Strung up. He did not want to say it.

He attempted to take deep breaths, to keep his mind sharp and calm.

"Breathe Doctor Stark." Charles' voice was clear, speaking through the beginnings of a haze in Nikolas' own mind. "Take your time."

Charles always had a knack for this sort of thing. He had not even ventured into Nikolas' mind but was able to help him remember what it was that was missing.

Nikolas nodded once before speaking.

"To save my dad, I had to blow up a machine. It released an impossible amount of power, and I was thrown into the air." He opened his eyes. "My dad thinks I am dead."

He did not want to admit to it, but Nikolas knew it was true.

Silence fell between them and when Nikolas concentrated on the Professor's face he could see an emotion there that he could not place. When Charles finally spoke it was with a smile, "I am glad that you remember." He rolled backwards, reaching for the phone on his desk and offering it to the Doctor. "Now call your father."

It had been two months since the incident at Stark International, specifically forty-three days his mind supplied. Nikolas knew that his dad must be tormented about it all, but the Doctor was not ready to call him and Charles knew this immediately.

Charles sighed, setting the phone back onto the desk and taking in a deep breath. "Sleep on it." He rolled forward, "Make your decision on another day."

It was obvious that the Professor disagreed, but when Nikolas nodded he sighed and said nothing more. He rolled forward, coming to stop a few feet away from Nikolas' chair.

"Tomorrow, a group of students are going to the Museum of Natural History. Ororo wants you to come along, if you feel up for it." Charles tapped the side of his head, "It is understandable if you are not."

Nikolas did not hesitate before replying. "Yes."

"Good." Charles moved backwards, "Now off to bed. You need sleep and I need to get some work done."

Nikolas nodded, taking his time to stand his leg barely capable of holding himself up in his half asleep state. "Goodnight Professor."

"Goodnight Endeavour."