அ Chapter One அ

There is not a thing that you can do, when the weather takes a turn on you

Six months later.

Tony Stark thought that the Expo was ostentatious.

Of course, Virginia "Pepper" Potts fully agreed and attempted to convince him to not too.

But Tony had promised Nikolas that he would go through with it and he was not a man to break his promises at the knowledge of just how flashy the experience would be.

He did, however, take the chance to show off.

After his announcement that he was the Iron Man that everyone had dubbed a hero, his public appearances in the suit doubled. The Stark Expo just happened to be one of these, and his appearance was jumping from fifteen-hundred feet into the suit. It made him anxious to make the jump, but the moment he landed he was cool and confident just as he usually was.

His speech was a practiced one not meant for him and came after many smiles and comments to the crowd about his appearance and willingness to blow things up.

"It is good to be back!" Tony said it with a bright smile, holding his arms out to the side as if he were basking in the applause. "Now, I'm not saying that the world is enjoying its longest period of uninterrupted peace in years because of me. I am not saying that from the ashes of captivity," He paused, a twinge of regret at the mention of what had happened months ago, "Never has a greater phoenix metaphor been personified in human history. I'm not saying that Uncle Sam can kick back on a lawn chair, sipping on an iced tea because I haven't come across anyone who's man enough to go toe-to-toe with me on my best day."

The crowd reacted in an excited way, and Tony smiled as he took the chance to step back and let the suit be removed by JASON's rings that he had temporarily installed at the front of the stage. The action gave the crowd further reasons to scream excitedly.

Temporarily, Tony's thoughts went to Nikolas, he pushed it away immediately, smiling as he held his hands up to get the crowd to calm.

"Please! It is not about me. It is not about you," He motioned to the crowd, "It is not even about us, it is about legacy." The idea made his blood run cold. "It is about what we choose to leave behind for future generations. And for that reason, for the next year and for the first time since 1974, the best and brightest men and women of the nations will pool their resources, share their collective vision to lead the world to a brighter future."

Tony smiled, though it felt emotionless, "It is not about us." He motioned to the screen behind him. "Therefore, what I am saying, if I am saying anything, is welcome back to the Stark Expo!"

He had meant to say more as the old fashioned Stark Expo logo appeared on screen to reform into a newer modernized one, but the crowd lost it temporarily, and Tony was curious as to whether or not this was all worth it.

"And now," He spoke only after the crowd had quieted, "Making a special guest appearance from the great beyond to tell you what it is all about, please welcome my father, Howard Stark."

Tony left stage, the smile falling from his face the moment his dad started speaking over the sound system.

This was not how the event was meant to go. The "special guest appearance" was meant to be Nikolas, it would have been his first appearance on stage as a representative of Stark International in such a public way. His son's already written speech sat in the front inside pocket of Tony's suit, just over his heart.

Tony shakes off the negative thoughts as he pulls a small box from his pocket. It acts almost like a glucometer, though this one is built to measure his blood toxicity. He winces at the sting of the needle pricking his thumb, sticking the appendage in his mouth as the device calculates.

19%.

"Fuck." Tony sticks the device back in his pocket, only vaguely aware of Howard's words over his shoulder.

Someone calls his name, and Tony turns, smiling at Happy as the man approaches. His bodyguard informs him it is time to go and he barely has time to register the chaos before he is suddenly thrust into the screaming crowds of those in attendance at the Expo.

A passing curious thought of exactly how many of these people are interested in the invention salts his approach to those who come at him. Tony takes a deep breath, settling his glasses over his eyes as Happy leads him through the crowd. He's outside before he can feel overwhelmed from the small space, clicking his key fob and watching as the roof of his car rolls back automatically.

"That wasn't so bad." Happy was frowning as he said it, his eyes watching Tony closely as he insisted on driving. 

"No, no it was perfect." Tony forces another smile. He turns, looking up and down a red headed woman as she approaches. "And you are?"

The sound of Happy's car door clicking startles him more than it should. "Marshal." She is smiling as she says it. "Pleased to meet you Tony."

Tony frowns at the use of his first name, "It is so discomforting to hear a perfect stranger use my first name." He starts the car. "What are you doing here?"

She attempts to act flirty, "Serving subpoenas." The Marshal holds it out to him and Happy reaches across without prompting to accept it from the woman. "You are hereby ordered to appear before the Senate Armed Services Committee tomorrow morning at 9 a.m."

Tony nods, glancing to Happy. "How far are we from D.C.?"

"D.C.?" Happy bobs his head back and forth as he considers the question. "250 miles?"

Tony smiles genuinely for the first time as he presses the gas pedal, relishing in the sound of his tires spinning as he drives.