Chapter 3: Killer and Hotshot

Alexander stares back at her, ignoring her question completely

Alexander stares back at her, ignoring her question completely. "I'm impressed. For the first time in your life, I see someone worthy of inheriting my crown."

"Where the hell is he?" Rory says, her jaw clenching in fury.

"That's disappointing, it seems you're just as weak as when I sent you down here to die." He tells her, a frown on his face. He looks away in thought, then looks back at his daughter. "I should've killed him when I had the chance but, I thought it would be so much more satisfying to make you watch."

She grits her teeth and takes a step forward. "I'm only going to ask you one more time. Where is Bellamy Blake? Where are my people?"

Sensing the atmosphere shifting, Abby walks into the clearing. She walks through the rank of royal guards and comes to a stop in between Alexander and Rory. "How about we all take a breath and go inside so we can talk in private? Everyone's watching, your people are watching, Aurora."

"They're not my people, Abby." Rory mutters, taking her eyes off her father and locking them onto Abby. "And, don't call me that. You don't have the right, you never had it but especially now. I know you killed Uncle Jake. It looks like things turned out well for you, though," she says, eyes locking onto the badge on Abby's chest, "Chancellor Abigail Griffin. Does it feel good? To finally have that power after years of being in Jaha's shadow?"

"Aurora-"

"What, Abby?" She cuts her off before she can say anything more. A wave of bitterness flows over her at the fact that Abby's standing in front of her and Marcus isn't. Bitterness that the universe, yet again, wasn't on her side. Luck is the reason Abby is alive and Marcus isn't, she'd not been on the Exodus ship, she'd been in a station that didn't burn up on entry. All Rory can think when she looks at the woman is why her? Why couldn't her dad have made it too? "Why are you still here? This doesn't concern you. An unelected Chancellor, a Chancellor by default because all the other candidates are dead."

"You're right, I wasn't elected. But, Marcus gave me this pin before he left, and until he gets back I'm the Chancellor whether you like it or not." Abby tells her, remembering the words Marcus told her before he left to make peace with the grounders. "And I will do everything in my power to keep you safe because he can't lose you again."

"Gets back?" Rory whispers, her eyes wide. She stumbles backwards a bit, shaking her head in disbelief. "Marcus is alive? Dad's alive? He wasn't on the Exodus ship?"

"Yes, Marcus is alive." Abby tells her. She watches Rory lift her hands to her mouth, muffling the sob that wracks her body, and that's when she realises that, just like Clarke had thought she had been dead, Rory thought the same about her dad. "He left a few days ago to find the leader of the grounders, to make peace. Sweetheart, he was never on the Exodus ship, none of us were, it got hijacked by Dianna Sydney."