Chapter 1 - Part 1

It felt like déjà vu

It felt like déjà vu. Jessica shifted from one foot to the other, debating whether to knock on the door again. But this time her circumstances were different. Then, there had been a fiancé she had left in the middle of the night.

One part of her wavered but the other wanted to knock. She bit her lip nervously, trying to build up the courage to do what she felt was right even if all logic and reasoning were stacked against it. 

She took a tentative step forward and knocked loudly. She linked her hands behind her back and felt the anxiety knot her stomach as she made herself wait for the door to open, debating whether it had been the right choice.

Light flooded from the window beside the door, then she heard some movement from within the house. He was home. The door swung open, and she was staring into familiar green eyes that made her breath halt, trapped in her lungs. She swallowed hard.

Myles Shaw. He looked like he had just woken up, his hair a mess. The sight of him touched her heart and this time she allowed herself to feel it freely without reservation or fear. In the light of day, she fought the feelings she had for him. They were at odds with her plan to gain independence and her fear of getting her heart broken.

She usually kept such tight control over her feelings for him, but she was tired of fighting against them. That's why she was there, to give in to the want of him.

"Myles." She felt breathless, unsure if she should be there but unable to leave. She wanted to reach out and touch him, feel the silkiness of his hair glide through her fingers. To feel the familiar pressure of his mouth on hers. The thought sent her heart racing with anticipation.

The memory of being on his doorstep in the middle of the night after she had left Charlie replayed in her mind. This time there wouldn't be a girl in his bed. There was only her and, despite the confusion about what was going on between them, she knew that for sure.

He didn't say a word as he stepped back and waited for her to make her choice. Would she enter? It took only seconds for her to decide to step inside his house. He slowly closed the door and leaned against it to study her in a long-measured look. His eyes moved slowly from head to toe before they meshed with hers, making her heart beat faster.

His chest was bare, and the jeans he wore he hadn't bothered to button up. He had never looked sexier. She swallowed nervously, knowing where this choice was going to lead.

"What do you want, Jess?" he asked her softly, his eyes already undressing her. His voice was velvet, and sexy.

This was the first time he had asked her that question. Before, he wouldn't say a word, he would just take her to bed and make her forget everything other than what she felt for him.

"I'm not sure," she murmured, her attention moving to the hallway where his bedroom was. Saying it out loud would make her analyze her reasons for being there, and she didn't want to.