"Ah, you're used to being the youngest brother, so now it feels good to play a pseudo-role of older brother?"

Oliver shrugged. "I guess so."

"I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Just remember that older siblings have important responsibilities. If you want to be a good role model, you have to think about the consequences of your actions. If you do that, I'm sure Reidun won't have a problem with you playing with her son."

Oliver's expression brightened considerably. "Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you, Eira. You're a pretty good role model yourself."

Eira smiled. "Thanks. That's good to hear." She sometimes worried about the impact she had on her siblings, so it was good to know they thought well of her.

"Children, it's time to return home!"

Eira looked over her shoulder to see a portly woman rounding up the kids who had been playing with Dagur. The dozen or so kids grumbled but got in line near the woman. "'Home?'" Dagur said in confusion. Eira also wondered about the use of the singular. There was no way all these kids were related.

"Yes, to the orphanage," the woman replied. "Would you like to see it?"

Dagur and Eira exchanged glances. "If you don't mind," said Eira. She looked to Oliver, but he seemed content to remain put. So, she and Dagur followed the woman as she led the children through the village. "We didn't realize they were all orphans."

"Yeah, why are there so many of them?" Dagur asked.

"They're not all from this village," the woman said. "They are mostly refugees from villages torn apart by war. Their parents died in battle, and their villages did not have the resources to take care of them. Our generous chief took them in and provided them safety."

"That's great and all, but why haven't they been placed with families?"

The woman gave him a sad smile. "Some of them were, but our families are suffering as well. We can only ask so much of them." She stopped at a large, rectangular building that appeared to be just held together. "Here we are. It's not much, but it's home."

"Hmm... Looks like it could use some repairs."

"We would love to help you with that," Eira said.

The woman smiled and dipped her head. "Thank you. That would be much appreciated."

Eira wished there was something more she could do for the kids. It was terrible they had to grow up this way. From the look in Dagur's eyes, she knew he felt the same way. Though they could not take on so many problems at once, she vowed to take any opportunity to help that presented itself.

***

Viggo stood on the edge of a cliff, looking down at the docks below. His position allowed him to observe the activities going on down there, and the numerous trees gave him cover in case anyone looked his way. Members of the Northern Alliance had decided to stop by today and were currently in conversation with village soldiers.

He looked over his shoulder when he heard someone approaching. It was only Krogan. He motioned for him to remain silent and then nodded in the direction of the docks. Upon looking at what was going on, Krogan's eyes narrowed. "What are they doing here?" he said in a low voice.

"They're being paid off by the village," Viggo responded just as quietly. "For protection, I suspect."

"Protection from them. We need to interrogate them."

Viggo eyed his friend carefully. "It is not our place to intervene. Not yet."

Krogan grit his teeth in frustration. "We have to do something to help the village see the truth."