***

"Toothless, I have a present for you!" Hiccup greeted the Night Fury with a smile upon exiting the Forge. Luckily, the dragon had finished his duties and came looking for Hiccup just as the chief completed his own task. 

Toothless appeared eager with anticipation, but that quickly changed when Hiccup held out the auto-tailfin. Clearly, he recognized the design. Hiccup lowered the tail to his side. "Yes, this is a tailfin that will allow you to fly on your own."

Toothless snarled, his eyes still on the material.

"Look, I understand where you are coming from. You do not want to fly if it is not with me, right? We're a team; I get that. But this tail won't change anything. You're still my best bud, and I won't part from you unless absolutely necessary. I'll still fly with you as much as possible."

Toothless gave him a look as if to say, 'then why do I need it?'

"This is only for emergencies... and special missions. You may not think you need it now, but you'll thank me later if we're ever forcefully separated."

Toothless snorted. He took a step forward and touched the new tailfin with his snout. Then he brought his tail to his head and did the same to his current artificial fin. He looked at Hiccup expectantly.

"Why is it not red? Well..." Hiccup rubbed the back of his neck. "I was hoping you would help me with the Light Fury, and she might accept you more easily if she doesn't notice this is manmade."

Toothless growled and backed away.

"I know, I know. She attacked me. But she must have a reason, and maybe you can explain to her why some humans are trustworthy."

Toothless eyed him suspiciously.

"If I'm not there, I can't get hurt, right? This tail will help you get close to her in ways I can't... unless you want me to try training her again."

Toothless snarled before ripping the tailfin out of Hiccup's hand.

"Whoa, okay, bud. We'll get this on you." Hiccup smiled in relief as he set up the new fin. Toothless still did not seem very happy about the fin or the Light Fury, but this was a start. The young Viking was certain he would like the Light Fury if he gave her a chance. Then hopefully she would give Hiccup a chance in turn!

***

Oliver remained with the children, who resumed playing with Eira and Dagur. After awhile, however, Eira saw her little brother wander off from the group and lean against a tree. When she approached him, she noticed he appeared to be in thought with a deep frown on his face.

"Oliver," she said gently, "are you alright?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking," said Oliver. "I'm sorry about causing trouble today. I didn't mean for that to happen, and I won't do it again."

Eira nodded. "That's good to hear."

"Do you... do you think Jarl will still be allowed to play with me?" There was a hint of fear in his eyes as he looked at his sister.

Eira took a moment to think about it. "I do not know. If Jarl had as much to say in what happened as you, I don't think Reidun will hold you entirely responsible." She paused. "Why does it matter that much to you? Jarl is several years younger than you, right? If you want to play with kids, there are plenty more."

Oliver shook his head. "No, it's not that. I don't care about playing with kids. Jarl is different. He's cool, and he listens to what I have to say. He actually takes me seriously."