Chapter 30 | "don't leave me"

The next week at school was bittersweet for Hyemi. Her black All Stars jacket had a new patch on the arm that read "National Champions". Yes, their duet won, both of Hyemi and Jaehyun in tears by the end of it all.

She was ecstatic to have won, and got many congratulations from her peers, but she felt sad. Jaehyun left right after nationals and was already rehearsing for the tour. She walked through the halls alone, missing him more than ever.

"Hyemi! Congrats on Nationals!" Yangyang, Xiaojun, and Hendery approached her, the three of them all giving her a big hug.

"Thanks guys!"

"How are you doing with everything?" Xiaojun asked as they walked together.

"I'm doing good! It was a stressful competition but I'm glad to have won." She replied with a smile.

"Oh yeah I meant with Jaehyun being gone... Yeji told us."

"Oh... it's uh it's alright. I already miss him but it's gonna work fine. I'm meeting him every weekend until he leaves so we'll figure it out." She said with a solemn nod of her head.

"Well, you still have us to bother you plenty during the day." Yangyang said with a goofy smile. "Have fun with rehearsal! We'll see you tomorrow!"

With that the three boys left her standing in front of the practice room door. Plastering a smile on her face, she opened the door to see the rest of the team already gathered there. The moment their eyes landed on her, everyone started clapping.

"Uh... what's going on?" She asked, putting down her bag as Yuta came and threw an arm over her shoulders, dragging her over to the team. "Why are you guys clapping?"

"Here." Sana said with a smile, handing her a black envelope. "This was left taped to the mirror when we walked in. Read it."

Hyemi curiously took the envelope, a pulling out the letter inside. Instantly she recognized Jaehyun's handwriting, a smile on her face.

To my team,

You guys never fail to amaze me with your talents. Despite me being a mess this past week, sorry about that by the way, you guys did it.

National champions. It feels good to be able to write those words again.

You guys truly are All Stars, and it's been an honor to be on this team for the past three years. I don't know what my future with the All Stars holds, maybe I'll come back, maybe I won't, but you guys don't need me. You've more than proven that each and every one of you is fully capable of driving this team to victory.

I hope as your leader for the past two years, you'll allow me to fulfill one last duty of mine. It's time to pass the torch along to the next person who'll lead you guys to greatness. Any one of you would be an amazing captain, but I trust you'll agree with me on my decision. Lee Hyemi, I hope you'll accept this role as the next captain of the All Stars team. Make no mistake, I know that Hyemi and I have a special relationship, but this is a decision for the best of the team.

Hyemi, from technique, to emotion, choreography, and execution, you never fail to amaze me with your creativity and attention to detail. You have the attitude and skill that this team needs to guide them and I know that together, you'll all do some pretty fantastic things. I leave the team in your hands.

Don't be a stranger, I'll miss you guys a lot. I'll be thinking of you on every step of the tour, since it's you guys who pushed me to be the dancer I am. You'll forever be my team. My national champions.

Keep working hard,

Your proud captain JH.

Hyemi put down the letter with a huge grin on her face, all the teammates around her mirroring her expression.