Chapter 11 | "a bit of fun"

"Do it again."

"Nope, start over."

"Again, from the top."

They had been there for over an hour and she had yet to make it through more than the first 15 seconds of her solo before Jaehyun told her to start over. He hadn't even told he what she was doing wrong, but just kept insisting that she restart.

"Restart, go again."

She let out an exasperated sigh, finally at her limit.

"Jaehyun, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?"

"Just do it again."

"No! You've made me restart so many fucking times I don't even know what you want!"

"Have I upset you?"

"Fucking obviously you have! I'm already having a shitty day, and I know you know that, and you're just making it worse. Why are you doing this to me?" She yelled, her voice breaking.

He stared at her for a moment, not saying anything. She could feel the hot tears forming in her eyes as he pushed her to her breaking point.

"Dance."

"What?"

"Right now, from the top."

"I'm not doing this shit again, Jaehyun, I-"

"Just do it this once. Trust me on this."

She glared at him but took her place on the floor anyway. She let out a sigh, feeling the emotions flowing through her body as Train Wreck by James Arthur started playing.

She felt all the pent up frustration and sadness flowing through her muscles as she moved, the lyrics resonated with her. To her surprise, Jaehyun didn't tell her to stop, instead he leaned against the wall and simply watched her dance.

Finally able to move on, she allowed the music to fill her head. She danced away her feelings, putting into movement what she couldn't into words.

By the time the song had ended, she finally felt some energy back in her body. The stress from earlier that had been holding her back were channeled into the piece, tears streaming down her face as she finally released all her emotions.

She finally looked up at Jaehyun, wiping her tears as she watched him push off the wall and walk over to her.

"That," he started, offering her a hand and pulling her to her feet. "was a winning solo."

She couldn't do anything but stare at him in shock.

"Look, Hyemi, I know I can be an asshole and I'm really tough on you guys, but I have to be. I know when someone needs their space, and I know when someone needs to be pushed. And right now, you needed to be pushed." He said, looking down at her with a serious expression, quickly noticing the tear stains on her face.

"I wasn't trying to be mean, but I just wanted to pull some emotion out of you. This song is really heavy and if you don't convey that, the performance is flat. But what you just did was exactly what I was looking for."

His eyes stayed serious, but his lips curved up in the smallest smile, and although barely there, Hyemi noticed it anyway.

"Oh, I get it, thanks Jaehyun and uh sorry for yelling at you."

"Don't be sorry, I was being even more of an asshole than usual."

She nodded with a small smile, still a bit nervous around him.

"Look, Hyemi," he said, letting out a sigh. "I don't know what went down in the hallway today, but I know you lied to me. I know Kyunghee said or did something that got you all screwed up. I'm not going to make you tell me, that's your business, but when that happens, because it will happen again in your life, you have to use that to dance better. Don't hide away those emotions, use them, because you're a great dancer when you do."