Chapter 21 | "welcome to sectionals"

Hyemi felt a nervous buzz about them as they walked into the Korea University Art Wing. It was just their luck that their biggest rivals happened to be hosting sectionals that year, but it just meant that they'd have to beat them on their own turf.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to sectionals." Jaemin mumbled under his breath as they looked around, seeing the halls filled with different teams all wearing their team jackets.

"Feeling nervous already, Jaem?" Hyemi teased, seeing the way he was eyeing their competition.

"Yeah, aren't you? We're on The Next Level turf." He replied, quickly scanning the hallway for the silver jackets of Korea Uni's Next Level team.

She looked to the side and saw Jaehyun standing there, also surveying the crowd and an unconscious smile made its way onto her face. He must've felt her staring because he turned and met her eyes, a smile also growing in his face as he sent her a quick wink before facing forward again.

"Surprisingly, no I'm not. I think we're gonna do well today."

"I sure as hell hope that's true. I would hate to be in a room with Mr. Dance Dictator if we lose today." Jaemin muttered out.

"He's not that bad. And we're not gonna lose. We're the All Stars team, people here are afraid of us. Not the other way around. So let's go get that trophy."

- - -

"Alright, 20 minutes until the male solo division starts! Good luck out there guys! Momo and I are going to go register our solos so we'll see you after!" Sana said, leaving the dressing room with a wave.

"You feeling ready?" Hyemi asked as she finished touching up Yuta's makeup.

"Now that you've made me look like a superstar, absolutely." He laughed out. "My solo is solid. I'm feeling that first place win already."

"Well good. The last I saw of it, you looked fantastic. Jae and Taeyong will give you a run for your money, but you can handle it." She said with a giggle, giving his makeup a once over before standing up with a satisfied grin.

"Oh please, I'm not worried about those two. My eyes are set on that Ten Lee kid." Yuta replied, fake punching the air.

"Yeah yeah, big guy, go and get stretched. You're on in 20 minutes." She laughed out, shoving him towards the bar.

After watching Yuta walk away, she turned to see Jaehyun staring at her, an unreadable expression on his face. Seeing him staring, Hyemi waved, snapping him out of it as a smile quickly appeared on his face.

"So Jae, where do you want us? Crowd or backstage or what?" Sicheng asked the leader.

"Totally up to you guys, but not all of you can be backstage so just make sure not to crowd to much." He replied with a nod.

"Hey, Hyemi, would you mind staying backstage with me?" Yuta asked, turning to her with a smile and gripping her hands.

"Oh, uh, sure."

"Thanks, you help me feel relaxed."

"Hyemi, wanna sit by me?" Jaemin asked, walking up to her.

"Oh, Yuta asked me to watch from the wings, but I'll see you after."

"Sounds good, see you then!" He called out as he, Sicheng, and Chaeyoung left the room.

"You're not going with them, Hyemi?" Jaehyun asked, walking up to her.

"I think I'll go back with you guys, if that's okay."

"Of course." Jaehyun's eyes glanced down, seeing Yuta's hand firmly holding Hyemi's, his expression wavering. "Why don't, uh, Yuta and I get changed. You can head over first, Hyemi, and we'll meet you there."