twenty two

a/n

ok hi guys. I want to thank you all so much for adding this to your library and voting because this  story has made number one in "jachary"!!!!! i never though that it would happen. thank you all so much, so here's another update. luv you guys! 

~maya 

It had been awhile since Jack came back and all Zach knew was that the older boy was acting different. He couldn't quite put his finger on it...but Jack seemed distracted.

When Zach had asked how Jack's rehearsal went, all he received in response was a clipped, "Fine." He claimed that nothing was wrong but Zach didn't believe it. What could possibly go that wrong at a rehearsal?

He decided not to ask because it probably wouldn't go well for anyone. The two watched TV in silence until finally, Jack's phone went off again. Jack made no move to get it until Zach asked, "Are you going to get that or do I need to do it for you?" Zach hadn't meant to sound rude, but apparently he did because Jack shot him a hurt look but grabbed his phone.

"Yup. Okay. I'll be there right away. Can I bring Zach? No it is not a stupid question."

From what Zach heard, he could guess that he was probably going with Jack somewhere. When Jack ended the call, he turned to Zach,

"Come on, we're going to go down, the girls are gonna start getting me ready. You can come and hang out." Although the offer was supposed to sound inviting, it didn't. What it really sounded like was Jack was doing it out of obligation. Not because he wanted to. Despite that, Zach found himself agreeing. Maybe it was just because he didn't want to cause more problems.

The two of them wordlessly left and got in the elevator. Zach found himself wondering what the problem was? Did he do something wrong? Did he say something wrong? He decided to break the uncomfortable silence.

"Is there something wrong Jack? You've been acting weird all day."

Jack looked at him, "Um...actually there's something I need to talk to you about but...can it wait until after this show."

The feeling that Zach had was unexplainable, it was a feeling of dread, at least that's the best fit that Zach could find. Whatever it was that Jack wanted to talk about, it couldn't possibly be good. He just nodded his head though, knowing that he had no control over the situation anyways.

They arrived down near the fountain where a stage was being set up. There, they were met by Christina. "Oh good. Okay, let's get you back to the bus we've got set up."

Zach let out a sigh, this was getting a little exhausting. Jack didn't even really glance his way, he just started following Christina, so Zach followed suit.

They went down a bridge that went into the parking lots. Zach sort of lagged behind Jack and Christina, feeling out of place as the two debated on how much powder should be on Jack's face for this show.

Finally, they made it to the bus. Zach realized that he didn't really know what he was going to do, so he spoke up, "So do I just like sit here, or what?"

Both of them turned to the younger boy in surprise, as if they forgot he was there. Zach just raised a brow at their expressions. Finally Jack responded, "You can sit in a chair, see what Kay does to your face, maybe have her pick an outfit..." he trailed off. Zach just nodded and sat down in one of the available chairs.

The blonde girl greeted him with a smile, a sign that whatever had happened earlier was now forgotten. The two of them didn't speak right away, Kay just started powdering his face.

"What's the pint of this exactly?" Zach asked when it felt like she'd been attacking his face forever.

She looked at him and said "It's so you don't look too oily. You want just enough that you look naturally dewy."

Zach was about to protest and say that he didn't have oily skin, but he ultimately decided against it. Soon, Kay moved on, she was just putting products on his face and Zach didn't really have it in him to argue.

Soon, there was a knock on the door. He watched as a look of confusion crossed Kay's face. She went to get the door, so Zach just sat in the chair, waiting for her return...who she returned with made Zach want to throw up. Standing in front of him, was Gabbie.

He felt his heart speed up, the impending sense of panic he had was unbearable.

"Do you mind if she sits here. At least until Jack gets done and can deal with her."

He found himself just nodding. He didn't even register when Gabbie sat down next to him, apparently, she had started talking as well.

"—I was so surprised but I guess I should've seen it coming." That was all that Zach had heard, but the expectant look she had on her face signaled that he probably should've been listening.

"Sorry, what?" He mumbled.

She just smiled, "Oh I meant you and Jack. At first I was mad but like I guess I should've seen it coming. Maybe it's what I needed." She paused. "Like I met Jonah...but that probably won't last. I mean Lavender and me are probably going to move to Hawaii soon."

"I'm sorry you and who? Zach asked, he could've swore that Lavender was the name of Kay's daughter.

She looked at him in surprise, "Oh. Didn't Jack tell you? Lavender's our daughter."

Before Zach could even say anything, Kay entered the room again. "Hey guys it's time to head out to the stage. Are ya'll ready?"

Gabbie gave an affirmative reply, Zach just mechanically nodded his head. All of them stepped out of the bus and to Zach's disappointment, there was no Jack.

"Is Jack already on stage?" He asked, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Gabbie smirk a bit. Apparently Kay didn't see it,

"Oh yeah, he's doing a final sound check. We'll go down and get ya'll backstage."

Zach just nodded and they began walking, he knew he wouldn't be able to focus on this show.